Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Doing good deed

Ronald Hribar

out doing good deed this morning(really getting seat time )

hit the break in concrete of neighbors driveway

did not hurt myself, tractor or snow-blower

but popped front windshield (Glass) out of cab.

looks like it will be easy to put back in place

but did remind me why i have a cab

I do not thinks so. I did come out of seat

but did not hit anything. I think cab twisted enough that window just popped out. It is glass window with frame around it

Held in place by roof no bolts

Yeah Ron, those sudden stops are a real bear. I caught the edge of a raised square of sidewalk just perfectly a while back and picked the back wheels off the ground. Thought nothing had been damaged until I got back to the garage and noticed the blower is just a bit crooked now. Guess I will be straightening the hitch come spring. Glad you didn't get hurt or break anything expensive!

Steve

quote:Yeah Ron, those sudden stops are a real bear. I caught the edge of a raised square of sidewalk just perfectly a while back and picked the back wheels off the ground.id="quote">
id="quote">

So, Steve, you've seen your teeth too. :D

yeah i was out plowing my neighbors drive way and hit a chunk of ice the plow was pretty much parallel to the ground when we stopped. the sudden stop made me push the clutch a little and the springs from the plow shot the tractor backwards. glad i have the spring trip plow i never left the seat but it was a quick stop and reverse.

out for morning walk , meet the neighbor, where I lost windshield.

told me that that section of concrete, just raised up after our last

cold spell. And handed me a $20 gas card. Thiought that was pretty nice

as He did not know that i had trouble there.

I have checked over tractor and blower, still see no damage

BUT, exhaust sounds louder, can not see muffler

as it has heat shield covering it.

• 1 month later...

and the rest of the story.

Took the cab off Prestige and the snowblower.

looked for damage from incident with snowblower.

Noise from muffler, turned out to be loose nut on exhaust manifold.

did dot find any damage to frame of tractor.

nothing to snowblower until I turned it 90 degrees and could inspect scraper blade. It had pushed on end all the way back and the other end was all the way ahead. So it wore scraper blade at an angle

Readausted it, will be good for another year and then will have to be replaced. While I was working on it. Was thinking about putting sweivel wheels on it. Think it would be easier on skid plates.

Ron, my first snowblower was an AMF (Sears). Anyway it had real narrow steel wheels in lieu of skid shoes. I then used a yardstick to set the scraper depth. Scraper bar was like new up to the time I junked blower.

If you could install/fabricate a set of wheels on the sides of the blower housing so the center of the wheel is at the front edge of the scraper blade, the wheels will ride up on top of any edges caused by shifting concrete slabs and the cutting edge won't hit them. I would think a 6 or 8 inch wheel for a walk behind lawm mower would work fine.