Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

gjh

Help to ID engine

gjh

A club member gave me this link to a 16HP Briggs.I called the guy, said it runs good,came off a cement mixer.New fuel tank & clean carb.I have a 23D? 1974 12 hp on my Homelite. The motor he has uses a separate starter, but don't know about generator.Will this replace my existing 12? I assume I can just swap over the SG, tank and PTO clutch. Prob. is it's 5 hrs away, but my in laws are 10 minutes from him. They know nothing about engines, but I might grab it if it looks like it will fit. He's asking $250 and told me it runs good.Here is the ser #. I think it's an '87? Has 1" slotted output shaft.approx 7-1/2" X 12" OA base. 6" bot base to CL crank.Thanks28437076-01-87020514

Briggs 16.jpg

57e05788e5b63_Briggs16.jpg.02e677407ca775626606c7a90f6176b4.jpg

RayS

A 12hp and a 16hp have the same foot print. So yes, it will fit. If it has ring gear starter there will be some wiring to do but that isn`t big deal either.

28437076 doesn`t make any sense. Unless that is a short block number. A 16hp will start with 326431 for starter gen. and 326437 for ring gear starter.

Chris727

Those aren't the right numbers. Its probably a 16hp due to the configuration of the cylinder head and tinwork. The fuel tank is not worth anything and isn't original. This engine likely has the gear type starter and yes you should be able to mount the starter generator onto it. It will bolt in but you may have problems with the oil fill location. Make sure the oil fill location is the same or that the block is at least drilled and tapped so you could add a dipstick if needed. Personally I wouldn't give $250 for any engine that I could not perform a leakdown test or compression test on and hear running. If it has problems you can easily sink another $250 into it.

BLT

I can make sense out of the 2nd and 3rd set of numbers, but the first shouldn't be more then 6 digits starting out either 231, 233, 243, 300, 301, 302, 320, 325 & 326 and have a 4 digit type number sometimes with a leading zero.

gjh

Thanks for all the input, I hear ya about $250 without at least a comp test an hearing it run.

Just that 16hp are getting rarer than hens teeth, so am on the lookout to upgrade from my 12hp.

Just missed a 7117 with blower, hard cab, deck, chains, weights, grass catcher with an newer 18hp Magnum.

Went for $1000; that was a good price based on him telling me it's been garaged since he bought it new.