Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

48" deck on a Simplicity 3212V

simplicity707

Hello all, I have a problem with a deck on my 3212V Sovereign. I bought the tractor last fall from the original 92 year old owner, who bought it brand new in the town in which I live in. When he bought it new, he got a 42" deck with it, not the 48". I recently bought a 48" deck off of a 3012 Sovereign for it, that I want to use with the tractor. I have a big property to mow, hence the reason for the 48" deck. The problem with the 42" deck is that it uses the double V belt, and pulley system, where as the 48" deck off of the 3012, only uses the single belt and pulley. What do I need to convert the pulley over, and will it still work as good as the double V pulley? I take it the pulley for the mower deck and sickle mower is one pulley? I want it to mow good, but am concerned with messing with the pulleys and changing everything over, because then I can't use the 42" deck, once everything is changed. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Thanks for your input!

An option might be to just change the entire center arbor from the 42" deck to the 48" deck if the top PTO drive pulley and lower arbor belt pulley are the same size.

IMO, it's much easier to swap out an entire arbor assembly than removing the pulley(s) from the arbor shaft.

The double v belt pulley on your pto can be swapped out for the single v-belt style pulley. The double v was only used for a few years. I wouldn't bother swapping deck pullies, unless you need the 42" deck then I would convert that to a single belt style pulley.

I had originally thought that I could just change the pulley on the PTO setup. I would like to keep the 42" deck around just in case, but mostly would be using the 48" deck. Where would I be able to find the single pulley, and would it come with the sickle mower pulley as well? Thanks for the input!

Yes that should work. You will need a different length belt in order to run your 48" deck. The single pulley conversion on the mid PTO does not have the extra pulley for the sickle. You can't use a mid-pto pulley from the earlier models because the shaft diameter is larger on the later machines.

Ok, thanks for the information, did not know that. So it would be just as easy to go with this pulley, and leave the one on the PTO alone, right? I'm just looking for the easiet method that will work the best. I think I'll give it a go.

quote:Originally posted by ReedS

Chris the single v-belt pulley almost always has the little pulley for the sickle drive. The pulley is an iron casting both pulleys, one casting.

id="quote">
id="quote">Reed, that only applies to the earlier tractors. When the double V-pulley system came out the I.D. of the pulley was larger and the shaft diameter increased. At some point shortly after their introduction dealers were offered kits to convert many of these units back to a single v-belt system. The pulley supplied in the conversion kit was the same pulley used on the mid-PTO's driven side (with just one groove.) You can't use the older Single-V pulley w/sickle pulley on the newer PTO because the I.D. will be too small. Since the pulley is larger it will throw off your speed and belt size when using a sickle mower. I will follow this up with pictures later.

Hmmm, I have yet to encounter the larger pto shaft in my 15 years of playing around with these tractors, so this must apply to the very late flat hoods? The Simplicity 3200 and Allis 200 series? All of my 3100's have the large/small single belt pulleys. I may have a double v style pto in my spare parts pile that I'll have to look at!

Yes in the AC models it occured with the introduction of the B-200 series. I have a 3212 parts machine and it has the same setup as the B-200's.

Can anyone point to a supplier or part number for the single V pulley to do this conversion? Does the PTO pulley need conversion as well for a 3314?

Thanks!

Ken

Ken, yes the PTO pulley would need to be changed also.

PTO pulley is part # 157682

The mower deck pulley is:

108207 (for 42" deck)

108348 (for 48" deck)

The pulley on the 42" deck is the same one that came standard on most of the B-Series or FDT 42" decks. Should be easy to find a good used one through the club classifieds or eBay. The pulley on the 48 will be harder to find. It is NLA and was only used in the conversion kit and on the B-112 and its Simplicity equivalent (w/48" deck). The pulley for the PTO should also be easy to find. Even if you had an extra double-V PTO, the left pulley can be removed and used to replace the right side pulley on your other unit.

I ran into a problem trying to replace mine, I had to change out the pulley mounting flange to have the right bolt pattern for the new pulley.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117564&SearchTerms=HB-212

David -

I think the post just above from Chris727 has your answer!

Place a want ad for a PTO with the double-V pulley and use the right

side pulley from it (Or maybe someone can sell you just the pulley).

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

Ken, yes the PTO pulley would need to be changed also.PTO pulley is part # 157682 The mower deck pulley is: 108207 (for 42" deck)108348 (for 48" deck)The pulley on the 42" deck is the same one that came standard on most of the B-Series or FDT 42" decks. Should be easy to find a good used one through the club classifieds or eBay. The pulley on the 48 will be harder to find. It is NLA and was only used in the conversion kit and on the B-112 and its Simplicity equivalent (w/48" deck). The pulley for the PTO should also be easy to find. Even if you had an extra double-V PTO, the left pulley can be removed and used to replace the right side pulley on your other unit. I ran into a problem trying to replace mine, I had to change out the pulley mounting flange to have the right bolt pattern for the new pulley. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117564&SearchTerms=HB-212

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks! Guess I have some work to do to get this done, but it's not a priority for a while... :DKen

I apprecaite all of the replies, but now I'm more confused (I'm not mechanically inclind)! Basically I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I can either go with the regular belt, or I can go with the double V belt set-up, and I'm still not sure what to do. If I go with the pulley above, then I would only have to change the pulley on the 48" deck, but will that pulley slow the deck down? It's all the sizes that I don't know. And also, what would be better to have, the regular belt, or the double V? Thanks for all the help.

The double-v belt is much more expensive and usually only available through Simplicity. I have heard they last longer though. I wouldn't be surprised if they become NLA eventually. If you go to the single belt you have to change both pulleys.

I will probably change it over to the regular v belt as the 48" deck that I just bought has the single belt pully on the deck. That means I need to change the pulley on the PTO from the double V pulley to the single. How hard is this to change? I won't need to change the pulley on the deck, just the PTO, right?

Yes. If your deck has the single-v pulley now you just need to put the single-v pulley on the mid-PTO. You will need an allen wrench to remove the set screw in it and you can take a large screwdriver and pry between the pulley and the PTO body to remove the pulley.