Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Craftsman, JD, Cub Cadet Kohler in a Simplicity?

Chris727

Has anyone succesfully transplanted a KT17 or a Magnum out of a Craftsman, Deere, Bolens, or Cub into a Sovereign? Will the Sunstar engines work in a Sovereign?

Thank you for any infosm01

I put 20hp Sunstar in Sovereign bolts up fine

may have to change wiring depending on which motor

replaces. otherwise you can destroy ignition system

I think the footprints are all the same on KT17, M18 & m20's. Diferences between tractor brands & applications would be in ignition systems, driveshaft conectors, and maybe pto shafts(most are 1 1/8" though).

A lot of Cubs and Deeres have a different oil pan setup/engine mount from Simplicity and sometimes its a easy switch with the pans and sometimes not.

quote:Originally posted by acfarmer

A lot of Cubs and Deeres have a different oil pan setup/engine mount from Simplicity and sometimes its a easy switch with the pans and sometimes not.

id="quote">
id="quote">On the old single cylinder Kohlers that is true. Your "A" block pans wont bolt into a Simplicity. Doing so is possible, but one would have to fabricate a cradle or adaptor to hold the engine. Some on the club have done this. There are some K & M series single cylinder Blocks in Deeres and maybe others that can accept both the A series pans and the flanged pans like use on our Simplicity tractors.As I indicated, the Kohler horizontal twins have all, to my experiene, had the same pan footprint. I have personally taken them out of Simplicity, Deere, Cadet, Gilson/Lawnboy/Ford, and Wheel Horse tractors.

There were alot of Magnum twins used in generators too. A Soverign style wouldnt need a PTO shaft out the front, so a tapered shaft for a Generator wouldnt matter inn this case. I have a friend who has a DA 917 repowered with a M20 from a generator. Fit right in place of the KT.

I have a single cylinder M16 that was spec for a Gravely or something, it had no PTO shaft at all. Crank was cut flush with the block , drilled and tapped. So its entirely possible that there are M18's or 20's out there with the same setup.