Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dozer hitch failure

Talntedmrgreen

My buddy struck a landscape block, stopping him in his tracks on his 917, and this was the result. Can't say I've seen this happen before. He is using a spring trip 42" blade, and a spring adjustable lift rod.

20130224_190643.jpg

20130224_190657.jpg

A upon closer inspection, all but one of the welds where the lift arm meets the frame, are brocken, and already showing rust...so they have been that way prior to his incident.

20130224_190713.jpg

20130224_190724.jpg

20130224_190738.jpg

WOW...thats amazing! I guess somethings gotta give. I just didnt expect that heavy frame would. even with prior issue its still a big break!

Ouch! I can't print what I am thinking here! Certain parts of my anatomy ache just thinking about hitting something that hard, with a spring trip no less! That had to be quite a shot on that hitch to break it like that, I would have expected a bend but not a break!

You might want to inspect the main frame by the BGB. Two of my tractors have been welded back together there from front blade abuse,,,thinking I had a dozer the first two years.:o

Wow soon as I saw the first pic. All I could think was where does it say your buddy was tring out for the next super man .. But I am sure glad no one was hurt other then the hitch.

It appears that the steel in that hitch contained more carbon than normal structural steel. The higher amount of carbon makes the steel more heat treatable. The forward portion was most likely welded, then someone stuck the piece in water to cool it quickly so that they could set it up for the next series of welds. The metal appears to have been hardened from quenching to the point that it was made brittle. Brittle material will develop cracks just from loading and stressing. If the hitch is welded back together, do not quench it in water to cool it down. Let it cool down slowly on its own so that it will not become brittle and will retain its normal toughness.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• A-C_220
    • PhanDad
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts