Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

20 years later.... throttle

Architectdave

Some of you have seen my first posts here when I took the 3314H from my gramps place and got it running again. I removed a bunch of buggered up stuff that he had added and modified over the years and worked at getting the tractor back to stock condition. Well when I got the tractor gramps had removed all throttle and governor linkage and spring in favor of his own special setup. It did not run well. Up until this weekend I had it set up with the correct linkage with a fixed throttle as the throttle cable and lever were censored1.gif. I bought a new choke cable and removed the dash and gas tank and got it installed. It works well but now I am having trouble with the carb. It is acting like the float bowl needle valve is sticking. Fuel filter is full, tank is full but it stalls out occasionally and wont restart except with choke on..... anyone offer some thoughts on this? I did recently tear down the carb and clean it, checked the float level as it did this before once in a while. All the jets are seated well no leaks no issues when its running okay.... also could it be crud in the tank causing a vacuum in the line? I have the plastic tank.

Try starting while holding the throttle closed, by hand, at the carb. Don't ask me why, but some Briggs engines just start better with the throttle completely closed. Bill Klein from SLI showed me that trick.

Sounds like there could be a speck of dirt or a partial blockage in the emulsion tube in the carb. That is easy to get at and check and clean. Just be sure to be careful when you remove and reinstall so as not to mess up the brass threads..also be sure that tube is fully seated when you screw it back in.

If there is a fuel filter on the fuel line, you may want to check/replace that also.

With the throttle plate closed it creates a suction to draw fuel into the combustion chamber while cranking the engine. It works for me especially if I let an engine set for long time.

5 inches of wet slush and that darn 3314 kept stalling out again this morning. Still acting like the needle valve is sticking. I guess I have no choice but to clean the tank, change the filter and clean the carb again......Might as well do a points condensor and plug too.

Any other suggestions?

Also going to raise my max rpms from 3000 to 3500 also.

My HB212 is the same, if I hold the throttle plate closed it starts on the first revolution every time, even below 0. If I don't it takes 5 to 10 revs or more when it has been sitting and cold out.

Removed the tank and all the plumbing to the carb, inspection showed the screen in the botom of the tank was packed full of grit, I was forced to remove it and now have ot rely on the filters. What was happening I think was tractor would sit and the tank would slowly leak full into the filter until it was at an equalibrium but once i started running the tractor the carb no longer had pressure uphill to fill the bowl so even though it looked like it had fuel getting to it it really didnt. cleaned out the tank and the lines, added a new filter and it works now! phew! Oh and I have throttle from 1200 to 3400 again....bonus.