Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Leak

alliskid

I have an Allis 416H that was repowered with a 18 horse Krohler twin Magnum by a previous owner. I have had the tractor for about 4 years. Nice running machine.... lots of fun!! This past fall I changed the oil from 30wt oil to 10w30 so it would be easier to start on cold mornings when I would need to blow the drive way to get to work. I noticed just the last few times that there is an oil leak. It seems to be all over the place. I thought it may have been the filter leaking and blowing all over, then I thought perhaps the drain plug, I checked them out and still leaks. I checked out the PCV tube and the valve. It looks like it has been change before as it has silicone as a gasket and obvious that it does not fit right, but I would say it probably is working. I would say the majority of the oil is coming out of the back end of the motor.

By the looks of it, it seems to be pushed out as opposed to just leaking.

Does anybody have any ideas. I keep a close watch on the oil level as I would rather not seize it up.

Another issue I have always had with it since I got it, is that in forward there is lots of power and can spin the wheels with chains on, but in reverse, if it has to back up a little up hill you will have to give it a push with your foot to get it started.

Any suggestions to both questions?

Thanks

Dave

Welcome to the club, David.

It may be a crankshaft seal. The seal goes out and the fan blows the oil all over through the fins, etc. If it is a seal failure, you should look for the reason the seal failed too. Bummer to put it back together and have it blow a seal out again.

Thanks Brett, I am going to limp her through the winter as I need her for my blower. the blower will not fit on 310. Usually I am hoping for lots of seat time, but now I am not!!!

Usually blowing out a crankshaft seal can be too much crankcase pressure which is related to the breather and lots of blow by. But the magnum engines do have a weakness with the PTO shaft seal either pushing out or got pushed in too far and the bearing messes up the seal. The PTO seal is easy to change without disassembly or removal of the engine. The front or PTO seal would not blow oil all over the place though.