Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

no good deed goes unpunshed

chris87

so last night helping a guy at work a u-joint cap fell off and i caught it with my teeth. and chipped my front one. then today plowing my neighbors drive way i stripped the gear on my hub. i plow there's before mine so i was only able to do half of mine before the tractor would not move. yeah i know should not have drove that long.... but i looked up the part on jacks it is PN#: 164214 has been superseded to PN# 1657308ASM at $221.15. looks like the diff is unhurt but ill take it to work tonight and clean it up and inspect it better. my questions are are there prone to brake / strip? pushing the 2-3 inches of slush/snow to much and is that what did it? anyone have a used one i am in the market for one. i think all i need is the gear it looks like it has a few screws and the gear will come off from the hub assembly. not a good picture but i think you can get what im need from it.

hub.gif

hub.gif.eccca94747f9aa66db995b0f13a8b580.gif

Anymore details on the Model of tractor, trans type etc.

I think I remember reading that these gears can be Pined to the hub. Some times the pins shear.

Did you break teeth off the gear, or is it just loose now?

Or did the whole hub slide out of the diff?

Sometimes the axle collar comes loose and allows things to shift sideways.

yes sorry that would all be good info huh. stripped the gear, its still attached and tight and it stripped the whole gear not just the end like it the hub slid out of the diff. it is a 67 landlord 990395 3 speed ill try to get a picture on here before i have to leave for work.

Chris,

The early tractors used roll pins to attach the gear to the hub. It is most likely that these roll pins sheared off in yours. This is a common failure.

The easiest fix is to drive the roll pins out of the gear, place the gear on the hub, rotate mid way between the orginal roll pins in the hub and drill new holes. Getting the 1/2 roll pins out of the hub can be a real pain.

Let is know what you find out. I probably have a hub/gear assembly laying around if you need it.

John U

i wish i was that lucky and just broke the roll pins. i have it cleaned now and it has roll pins not screws. the diff is good had to clean it out and everything looks good there so i did get lucky but here is a picture of it.

hub.JPG

hub.JPG.ee0f31a9611e434d88d03a8f697e6c85.JPG

the people on this site are great! when i looked up the hub assembly i was first very surprised that i could still get it and more surprised on the price. i don't think the tractor is worth as much as the part. but with in a day i had several people offering to help! i think these tractors are cool and a good work horse but with this site they are amazing!! the people here really make owning a simplicity or AC a lot of fun! if you have any questions some one can answer it and they do very quickly!! thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...

just a heads up if this every happens to any one else. as you can see i destroyed the gears on the hub and gears in the diff looked fine so i just replaced the hub. but what i didn't think about was the egg shaped holes in the diff housing. so new/used hub installed i test drove and it still was slipping. i took apart and put 2 and 2 together. and the holes in the diff assembly have to very precise because that is what sets all your clearances between the gears. you can kinda see the egg shaped holes in the picture.

DSC06639.JPG

DSC06639.JPG.bb28fa2852f18270921375586364876e.JPG

Thats bad...What do you think caused that? Lack of grease reaching the planetary gears?? Does they get grease when you pump it in the axle tube?

PS...sorry about the tooth (mouth and gear) :D

Looks to me like it has been driven quite a while with loose bolts. When tightened properly, the sides of the diff will flex inward against the tubing spacers that are inside the spider gears and everything becomes a solid unit. To wear out the holes as those are, the bolts would have to be loose enough to let everything move around. Also, the bolts in the picture do not look like any of the bolts I have seen in my tractors. They look to have been replaced at some time. Apparently someone has taken that differential apart before.

quote:Originally posted by chris87

hub.JPG

id="quote">
id="quote">when mine did that i had to take apart the whole diff and get ALL the small broken chunks out.

Check the collar on the opposite side of the diff.

When you put it back to gather jack both wheels off

the ground and push the hub in as hard as you can then

make sure the collar is up tight aganst the Axle tube.

It looked like the collar may have slipped and allowed

the gear move so it wasn't meshing like it should.

Good luck.

Let us know how you come out..

the bolts were tight very tight and packed with grease. what caused it was i keep on driving till it would not drive. yes i know better but i figured it broken so why stop now. that didn't work very good for me instead of just a hub now i need the diff assembly to. to be old and wise you first have to be young and dumb. so i should be very wise SOME DAY... it had plenty of grease i took it all apart and cleaned it in the parts washer to get all the metal out and inspect everything. it has the original bolts i just left them with the tractor those are just temporary one i use to hold the gears when transporting. there is a little gap on the collar on the left side. is that the one? ill make sure its tight when it all goes back together.

not sure if it gets is grease from the other side i just filled it with grease when put it together then i know there is plenty there.

what i think cause it was i was pushing wet snow/slush and the driveway had ice under it. and about 6 to 8 feet from the pile there was no ice so i spinning in 3rd gear of coarse on the ice then hit the asphalt got good traction then rammed the pile so it would go sinning lots of traction then hard hit on pile and the shock load snapped a tooth then took out the rest. it started after about the 3rd or 4Th hit of the pile never heard a snap or pop just grinding and it makes a bad grinding noise to.