Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Carb float level

rich_kildow

I've been having a heck of a time getting the engine in my 7116 to not foul out plugs after about an hour. No amount of fiddling with the mixture seems to fix it. Thinking back to when I put everything back together, I'm wondering if I didn't have the spring on the needle placed quite right on the float.

What would be the symptoms of the fuel level in the carb being to high or low? Or does the level not matter as long as it isn't overflowing?

tuck

HI if you had the hi speed jet apart you may have screwed the jet in from the wrong side of the nut and it wont let you lean out the adjustment if it runs rich. Also it has 2 gaskets on the upper manifold 1 on block and 1 after the metal plate they split and suck air making erratic running good luck Tuck {}

rich_kildow

Thanks for the tips. I did have it apart and I'm going to pull it tomorrow to see if I have a washer in the wrong spot or missing. What do you mean by screwing it in from the wrong side of the nut? I know the needle has a spring that goes over it, then a washer and a fiber disk, then it goes into the nut that gets screwed into the body of the carb...I'm having a tough time imagining how it could be in the wrong way.

I switched the plug to an Easy Start CJ14 and ran it for a bit. The plug looked like it was oil fouled after only a few minutes. It was jet black all over but could be wiped clean fairly easily. It blows a little oil smoke when starting until it gets running smooth (10 seconds, maybe) but doesn't smoke at all while running until it starts running rough. A cleaned off or new plug always fixes this for about 30 minutes.

Am I looking at a rebuild here at some point?

Ronald Hribar

old gas?

clean air filter?

freeze plug in place?

choke positioned properly?

does gas leak excessively from carb when motor is not running ?

oil level correct?

is oil clean?

bad breather?

rich_kildow

Tuck, I'll check that tomorrow before I start moving the foot of snow we might be getting in the next 24 hours.

Ronald:

- Good gas, no ethanol

- Clean filter

- Where's the freeze plug?

- Choke lever releases all the way

- It has always had a shut off, but I tried it today and gas does leak from carb when not running

- Oil level is good

- Oil is fresh, probably only 10 hours since last change

- Breather, as in the little tube that comes from the block to the intake riser? If so, yes

Ronald Hribar

freeze plug is on end of carb

with shut off valve open, does the gas leak slowly

or is the stream larger like float valve is not working properly

breather is on other end of tube .

rich_kildow

Freeze plug is in place.

After a couple minutes of being off it really starts dripping, better than 1 large drop each second. I'm going to pull that carb when I know we aren't going to have snow for a few days and give it a good clean and check.