Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diagnosing starter problem

davidmoll

Looking for some advise on how to diagnose my starter on my 6216 tractor. I have changed the solenoid under the seat and still have the same problem which has gotten worse. I know in the past I have had problems with the guage connections in the console which came off the guage and it wouldn't crank at all.

Current Symptons,

Turn key, just hear a click

After multiple attempts, engine cranks and would start

This week however, now when it cranks it seems to disengage and just screech.

Barely got it started for this weeks snow storm. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Moleman

Just a thought...Could be worn/broken teeth or weak / broken spring on the starter gear. Have you pulled the starter and checked? Starter may not be engaging properly.

Haven't pulled the starter yet. This new problem happened yesterday morning and I just ran off to work after snow clean up. But the way it sounded it makes me feel it was my last time it would start. Thanks Moleman

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Just a thought...Could be worn/broken teeth or weak / broken spring on the starter gear. Have you pulled the starter and checked? Starter may not be engaging properly.

id="quote">
id="quote">

it sounds like the starter is bad. but you can check all you connections. any green stuff on them? and you can also do a voltage drop test to check this. first take a volt meter and hook one end to battery pos and the other to battery supply at starter and crank. should be 0.5 to 1 volt if memory services me right. this just tests if there is any resistance between the battery and starter. bad wires or connections. if there is move your lead back to the next connection and retest to see what is causing the drop. repeat on the ground side. ground wire at starter or just starter body if no ground wire to neg battery post. you can also go neg battery post to pos wire on starter and crank to make sure it has above 10 volts when cranking. also if just clicking tap starter with hammer or 2x4 well trying to crank (old non factory recommended test) if it starts like that rebuild or replace. but with it kicking out i would guess it has low voltage or starter getting weak and needs rebuild/replace. hope this helps.

here is a link that might help explain

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/voltage-drop-test.html

Make sure your battery is being fully charged. A fully charged 12V battery should read 12.73V with a meter. A battery that reads 12.1V is only half charged. I thought I had a starter problem on one of my tractors but it ended up being a battery that would not hold a full charge.

I will look into all of these suggestions. I appreciate the advice.

quote:Originally posted by davidmoll

Looking for some advise on how to diagnose my starter on my 6216 tractor. I have changed the solenoid under the seat and still have the same problem which has gotten worse. I know in the past I have had problems with the guage connections in the console which came off the guage and it wouldn't crank at all.Current Symptons,Turn key, just hear a clickAfter multiple attempts, engine cranks and would startThis week however, now when it cranks it seems to disengage and just screech.Barely got it started for this weeks snow storm. Any guidance would be appreciated.Thanks Moleman

id="quote">
id="quote">

Remember if you need the tractor again before your fix that many of these tractors can be rope started. I'm not sure about the 6216 but I'm sure others here know.

With a haevy wire, jump from the + battery post to the starter side if the start relay. If your starter spins, the problem is between the key start and the relay. next put the jumper on the small terminal on the relay. If the starter spins, your problem is the start key switch. Of course, if the starter doesn't spin in the first test, look to the starter for the problem. LOL Bob

I used to have a 16GTH which I belive is similar to your 6216. Had the same symptoms as yours and it was the starter gear that needed replaced. It's been a while but I recall it being a real PIA to get the starter off. Once it was off the gear was easy to replace. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I got off easy. Went over all terminal connections and ground after seeing loss of voltage from battery to soleniod and starter. After cleaning up all of them, it cranked right away and started.

Moleman