Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

can i do it ?

cityboy2977

what are your opinions on blowing hard pack snow.

i have a driveway up north Mich. that has not been touched all winter.

should i give it a go with the 7116 or hire it out ?

probably 20-30" deep

Comon! Case of beer and a couple hours on the 7116 sounds like a great vacation! Hell, Im jealous!

Well with snow 20-30" deep. I know I would have to give it a good shot at it. Because I can't say the last time I have seen that much!! But if I were you I would give it a go before hiring it out. And if all fails you have a good backup plan ready. Let us know how it all goes.

Whereabouts is your place? With the warmth we've had, that snowpack is bound to be good and crusty if you hit it in the morning cold.

snow3113.jpg

Oh boy...right in the heart of snow country! Used to rop and stay in Fife Lake when snowmobiling and cover everything north and east of Cadillac/Manton.

Yeah, i agree sounds like a great day planned. And if all else fails, your not going to be high and dry.

Good luck8D

By hard pack do you mean just untouched snow or has it been packed down by snow go's or foot traffic? First pass will be tough getting through.

I would hire it out. If it is packed down with vehicle traffic you wont get under it anyway. If not, that is still a lot to ask of the tractor, and would likely just beat the snot out of it. On top of that you have to load it and transport it, back and forth.

It does sound like fun, and you might eventually get it done, but if it is an entire winter's worth, I doubt it will work well, and there is all of the wear and tear on the unit, the hassle of transport, and the time spent that you could be doing other stuff on your land.

this is an untouched driveway.....no traffic. just all of winters snow sitting there.

transporting isnt an issue with the 16' enclosed. im moving up anyway so the machine will stay.

i just wanted everyone's opinion.

posted this elsewhere and got some folks tellin me i cant do it and to hire it out to bigger equipment. i might do it myself just out of spite and to say i did.

got all the time i need to get it done.....just as long as i get our stuff moved up by the end of March.

Might make the Briggs snort a little bit. But it should cut through it. First pass or two might be a lot of start and stop. Into the bank, back off if you are undercutting, let it collapse, hit it again.

Make sure your idlers are all aligned good, tensioned right, probably would not hurt to have an extra belt on hand. In case something is waiting for you under the snow pack.

If you give it a go. Take some pics for us to see. I think you can do it just be careful not to burn out you belt. Might be worth having a spare with you unless your not snow throwing.

Moleman

I live in the knuckle area of MI near the lake. I have a 7116h and blade. I plow my driveway up hill (60') with no problem. The most I have had to push, this year, was 12" of blown in. No issues at all.

BUT I do have a question, do you have a blade or blower? With a blade it will be an adventure, especially if your disposal area is limited. A blower should have no issues.

Also what traction setup do you have? I have loaded ag tires, 80# weights and 2 link quad x-bar chains. Run out of power before traction.

How long is the driveway? I'd think of making enough room to park until it melts and go in with snowshoes/skis and a toboggan or snowmobile in the meantime if it's too long and doesn't blow easily

If your belt runs off the engine is your only slightly possible chance, if it runs off the BGB forget it.

I bet it will be easier than you think. I have done it in my yard many times when I need to get my trailer out. Snow from most of the winter and it blows it without much hastle. Just have to move slow.