Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wiring

yukon

just picked up a 20 hp kohler today going to put it my sovereign only problem is wiring dont match up can anyone help me i dont want to burn everything up heres pics of both ends. bottom pic is the engine.

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG.7b63662334dd8c1882def346000d5763.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG.2f714ace2c2cab3c54f00356875093bc.JPG

I assume that the engine that was in the sovereign was a KT17 or KT19, which is a battery ignition engine while the M20 is electronic.

The white wire on your 3 prong engine plug is the ignition wire to the electronic coil (DO NOT APPLY 12V TO THIS WIRE, YOU WILL FRY THE COIL). This wire is grounded to stop the engine and open to run the engine. The red wire should be the charge wire coming off the rectifier and the green wire is probably the oil sentry wire, coming off a sending unit near the right front of the engine.

You will need a different ignition switch that is grounded in the off position and open to nothing in the on position. Or you can just install a separate on/off toggle switch.

What is the mfg. no. of the Simplicity tractor. It looks like it either had a Command or Triad in it. It appears to be a late model Sovereign. Both are magneto. Let me know and I will see if I have a diagram.

Is the motor a Magnum? It looks to be.

2000sovele.jpg

This should be the correct diagram. Do you have a spec. number for the motor you are using?The green wire on motor may be a oil pressure sending unit wire. Atleast that is what a magnum diagram I have is showing.

2000sovele.jpg.ec76731ad81b98cc93262c3bff88800f.jpg

i have a red with blue stripe and a white coming from the tractor and a green and red and big white wire coming from the engine.

I deleted my wire diagram as it was to convert a Triad to Command. The only thing on RayS drawing posting is, you might not need to connect is choke solenoid. You can also download a Magnum service manual from Kohler Engines. To help you make the cross connect wires.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

thanks bob

id="quote">
id="quote">The only item not discussed is your charging system. Do you have a wire diagram from Grasshopper?