Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Round top tiller extensions

littlemarv

When you guys are talking about tiller extensions, is this what you mean?

day 3 004.jpg

These are just the outside tines off another tiller. I put them on and they work good. Just thinking the actual extensions were something different because the inner row of tines overlap the outside row of the tiller- they could be spaced out 3" yet for maximum width. I was going to make the shroud extensions and make a support out on each end- I've seen topics on here about that.Just lining up yet another project for when it warms up.. Thanks.

57e05796d3821_day3004.jpg.3e3b48e192a93db502e43f86ab4095a2.jpg

That would be what they talk about. I have never had a set but I think If you have a large garden they would be helpoful. Then with adding them you cut down seat time to.

I have a similar project, mine is not a round top tiller though. I will be creating extension covers from a parts tiller.

I've had a few sets, and that's what you have there. I never put them to use...never had a large enough garden to justify it, and the little seat time I do get with a tiller is too breif as it is. I always wondered how it would effect bearing life, etc, having those dangling out there chewing away at the soil without support like some members have added on the later style tillers.

i have been using a set of those for a few years now. didn't seem to affect bearing life at all. i did get a bunch of tiller bearings as part of a trade so i rebearing'd all three of my tillers just because.. none of them really needed new bearings.

after doing all that, i snagged a root tilling an extension to the garden and bent the main shaft. dont have a spare one of those. but with two more tillers, i'm not concerned about it right now.

i don't have extended covers, thou. never been a problem. doesn't throw dirt at me or anything.