Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax / Allis 720 Hydro temp unit and manual?

rickf

Hi

Fixing up a few wiring issues with my 720, and noticed the lug on the switch for the hydro temp was not connected, but the wire was also not connected to a sending unit...

Can anyone tell me where the sending unit is located? The manual shows the part on the wiring diagram page, and I can't seem to get the Sundstrand manual off the Simplicity site - anyone have a copy to send me? TP_500_0234_00_XX_S.pdf

This 720 was modded to have a foot pedal for the hydro lever, so I'm wondering if it was in the way and removed? The loader is still on it, so can't really look from the bottom, and I can't see anything on either side of the hydro pump...

Thanks for the help, Rick.

Rick,

The hydro temp sensor is located in the bottom of the gearbox on the side opposite the hydro oil filter. It is a screw in sensor with one wire connected. I believe the sensor switch closes to ground when in an over temp condition, ie normally open.

You should be able to see it by taking the top cover off the tunnel.

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you the Powermax Repair manual which shows this sensor location

John U

John U

Ok, I was convinced it was on the hydro pump someplace - bad assumptions... Thanks for the help, I have the service manual for the 720 that came with, it doesn't show there, but here's the diagram in the Powermax repair guide... Thanks for the offer John, think I have most of the manuals downloaded I can, but I see old links for the Sunstrand to the old Simplicity Tech pubs site, that's no longer available... If anyone has it and could email me a copy thanks.Oh I should dig through my archives... 10 years or so ago I downloaded all the simplicity tech pubs available, and put them on a stack of discs...Thanks for the help. Seems like a good thing to have connected...

temperature_Unit_location.jpg

temperature_Unit_location.jpg.aa6933f55ca0923346fbc1fd4d3e3591.jpg

Rick, I have a Simplicity Sunstrand Model 15 manual and a manual published by Sunstrand on the model 15.

Happy to send them, need your e-mail address.

Tell us more about the foot controlled hydro on your tractor.

John U

re the foot setup...

I guess my earlier pictures have left photobucket, if anyone's really interested, let me know and I'll see about taking a few, though there's not too much to see.

basically, near the neutral safety switch access port, someone enlarged the opening, bolted a short piece of angle on top of the neutral safety arm (left it in place and bypassed the switch) to this angle is welded a ~8" rod, maybe an inch in diameter. The other end is supported by a stand on the edge of the foot rest, and a foot rest plate welded on top of the bar. The hand lever is still in place, though the neutral position lock is gone. yeah a picture would be worth a thousand words. Maybe I should re engage the switch, Any harm done with starting, or is it just extra load wearing on things...

Thought it seemed a bit hacked up at first but as I'm getting used to using the hydro and not the clutch/brake to stop/slow, I can't imagine using the bucket & rear implements without it. I think you'd need four hands! Not too much of a mod really and I think you could cut a much smaller hole than is in my side panel.