Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bgb driveshaft bearing

tobski

Hello,

Was wondering if the bgb driveshaft has to be pulled to replace the needle bearing,

everything on the bgb seems good except last night after removing the flange or the "yoke" , the driveshaft has more that 1/8 in play, (more like 3/8 + or -) and the seal is leaking there. The other bgb shaft (perpindicular) has hardly no play. After searching the articles and forum it seems only the seal is replaceable from the outside. Sounds like a complete bgb disassembly is required to replace the driveshaft bearing. but just making sure here.

Thanks in advance.

and also thanks to those who helped me on my 2 engines, I finally got around to working on them again and got them to go.

You will have to remove the BGB to replace a needle bearing. The input shaft - driveshaft is in there and there is no way of removing the bearing without taking that shaft out.

If you have 3/8" play it isn`t just the needle bearing. More than like the keyway is bad on the driveshaft. They are NLA according to Jack`s and there was a new one on ebay the other day.

If you can find these stock up. This is probably Briggs attempt to get people to buy new tractors. These could be made if you have a lathe.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

\. They are NLA according to Jack`s and there was a new one on ebay the other day.If you can find these stock up. This is probably Briggs attempt to get people to buy new tractors. These could be made if you have a lathe.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think they are still available (hopefully). I have two Sovereigns! This is what I found when I checked a little.http://www.sepw.com/detail.aspx?id=6379349http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Parts-Lookup/2172750SM/2284088/ps

Originally posted by DanD
quote:
id="quote">I checked to and if he is putting it in a B 10 or B series the part number for the front shaft is 157426 which is a 3/4" diameter for the FDT`s.The one in the links provided are part number 172750 and are for RBT`s and is a 7/8" diameter. That shaft will not fit in a FDT`s BGB case.Yesterday it wasn`t showing up on Jack`s but it is today. I must have put in the wrong part number yesterday. The new number is 2157426SM and is $70 bucks.Make sure you order the right one or you will have one that will not work in a FDT. Part number 2172750SM will not work if you are using in a FDT that you normally post about.Both style input shafts are still available though.