Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 410S planetary trouble?

cowboy02

I have been given a AC 410S and am new to garden tractors. I love working on my two antique JD so I think I can get this up and going. I was told that it would not reverse but would go forward because of a damaged gear. I looked around and I see the gearbox that changes the transmission input direction and would like to know if this part is a common part to find and replace. I also have done some reading here and I'm guessing that my engine has been replaced, the tractor says 410s on the data plate but definitely has a Briggs 16hp engine that looks to be from a 416 because everything looks OEM. I am looking at that as a plus for HP. The tractor came with a mowing deck but I am going to have to replace the spindle assys that the blades attach to. will be a good worker when given some attention, hope some of you might be able to help with some info or suggestions.

if you're lucky maybe all you need is some adjustment to the shuttle... and maybe the little brake pad fixed or replaced...

Do you have a service manual?

Well RayS, I was wrong and you were correct...The engine in it is a Kohler mod# K341S

spec# 711084

Ser# 9091553

The tractor itself has a ser# 29901143

Sammiefish,

I do not have a manual yet, and I am sure it will need some adjustments. I am not a fan of going with a previous owners assesment of what is broken without checking it out for myself, so I guess I need to look for a parts type manual to see what is there and what is missing. After looking at the setup I have the drivetrain goes from engine-to shaft-to gearbox that turns a pulley which goes to the pulleys on the rear end. I could ask alot of questions about how it works but let me look for a manual and see what I can figure out myself. If someone has one that they can email or know a place to download that would be great!

When I got my 410s it also wouldnt reverse...it was missing the linkage & brake band that wraps around the planetary gear assy on the right side of the trans. You can download a manual and it has pics and the adjustment instructions. First step- set all adjustments THEN see how it goes...

Check out the 2nd pic in the link below...the bronze colored pc is what I was refering to.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119883

Well, that 2nd pic showed me that I have some missing parts. I looked at what I have and what I see is two gears on a shaft protruding out from the pulleys with the two belts attached. In your picture there is a bronze colored band and a cap bolted over those two gears, I guess I am missing the planetary and brake band that would go over it.

I picked up a 712S last fall for $125 with a rotted deck but good tires. I also found the planetary brake mechanism was missing and had to make it. You definetly need a manual to get it set up right. Mine isn't quite right yet, but close. When I shift from reverse into neutral it goes backwards. But if I go from forward to neutral it stops. Been too busy working on my allis G right now. LOL Bob

You

On any Shuttle tractor, reverse comes from the tightening of the band on the planetary. It will reverse in any gear, so the transmission does not control of reverse other than the speed.

Either the band is not tightening when going to reverse on the lever, or the split pulley is locked up and will not release from forward.

Not sure if you can download a manual anymore.

I have an electronic copy of the AC400 series parts manual. If you'd like me to send it to you, send me a PM with your email addie. The file is too big to send through the club mail.