Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Britt

917H KT17 ?

Britt

Trying to figure out exactly what motor I have in my 917H. From the tractor serial number 002344 it should have a KT17S series I. Tag on the motor says Model KT17S Spec 24204 but I can't find a serial number anywhere on this motor. Where should I look for the engine serial #? There is also a sticker on the side shield that says the motor has been replaced with a KT series II short block part #92116697 ?? some of these numbers are hard to read but I think that is right. So it seems I probably have a series I replaced with a series II short block at some point. This motor does not have a oil filter but I think it has the removable plate to add one on. Do the series I blocks have this plate by the dipstick? I would like to add the oil filter which looks to be possible but don't know what exactly I'm looking for without knowing engine serial number or what block I have. This is my first post on this site but I have already read and used a lot of information from it. Great site and thanks in advance for the help.

Tonyvdb

I have two 7117 and one as the series 1 engine and the other the series II, I believe both have the plate where you can put an oil filter, but my understanding is that there isn't one because there isn't enough space. Both have pressure oiling systems but the series II has holes drilled to lube the crank journals better. I think you can still get the oil filter adapter from Simplicity.

Here is a link to a post about adding a filter http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121401&SearchTerms=series+II

MikeES

I don't know of any KT series I that would have a plate to add the oil filter (the parts book does not show it). Many of these Series I were short blocked so the name plate, air cleaner, etc. are from the original Series I.