Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 (powermax) Foot control pics

rickf

So this tractor came to me in this fashion. Basically someone extended the control shaft through the side of the frame for a foot rest. Outer support bracket welded to the footrest. Of course that necessitated removing the neutral lock, on the top control lever, they also removed the Neutral safety detent, the switch is still there? (as is the upper control lever/linkage.It works well, can't imagine using the loader etc wo (Steering, two bucket levers and throttle with two hands!?), I could imagine a neutral lock to be helpful at some moments. You'll see they enlarged the access hole in the frame, but I think if you were to build a shaft with an offset (e.g. crankshaft), there would probably be enough clearance if you used the access opening itself without cutting anything...Pictures of the foot pedal with the cutaway, and closer up. And superimposed the full forward, full reverse - not actually that many degrees of motion, eyeballing it a small rod should have just about enough clearance if you used the diameter of the access port already there. Of course you could get fancier and mount an linkage through the hole instead...R

720_1.jpg

720_2.jpg

720_3.jpg

720_1.jpg.9dbee687f5b8c81b04e12789ee1f88d5.jpg

720_2.jpg.1fd324ac4f0003b00dae76f818f19314.jpg

720_3.jpg.41ec4c5b1740d2aca62de66faa38c7b2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I like it! Simple and effective. Does it have the ability to return to neutral if released?

id="quote">
id="quote">No, did the original lever do that? maybe a couple springs under the plate could balance things and make me feel better about no neutral safety switch... it does operate very easy.

Rick,

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Questions for you?

1. Is the foot control action smooth or does it tend to be overly sensitive?

2.Does the position of the foot pedal feel right or would it ideally be moved forward?

I ask these questions, based on comments others have made on foot control conversions on the large frame tractors.

It looks like a return to neutral setup could be done fairly easily using a plate with a V notch and a couple of springs similar to what this guy did on a Wheel Horse.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/30880-custom-hydro-foot-pedal/

John U

quote:Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

1. Is the foot control action smooth or does it tend to be overly sensitive?

2.Does the position of the foot pedal feel right or would it ideally be moved forward?

id="quote">
id="quote">

Hmmm, not much to compare it with other than the neighbor's much larger/newer JD with a joystick for the bucket... I haven't complained about being over sensitive. Getting used to using the Hydro instead of the brakes/clutch, but I can see where a neutral "spot" somehow would be helpful.. Might just try a couple springs on the plate or original arm someday if I get around to it.

Position seems ok.. I'm 6-5" so Don't think I've sat on a smaller tractor a that feels like it was made for me. I don't know how you could mount a rocker pedal forward by the brakes, but you could probably attach a rod instead inside the frame and move the pedal forward. My tractor's not a show piece. Coming to like the pedal as it is.

Now after all the other wiring issues that I had to undo, (had the wrong ignition switch in there - anyone have a spare?) Looks like the temp sensor is fine, and back in service (wo the starting temp on function) All tested just fine, but it decided to not turn over after everything was buttoned back up! Hate that. Dark enough to call it a day.

Can anyone tell me where the official ground point is for the spade on the Rear Clutch Plug?

Thanks.