Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 310 and Tiller ??

bowhunt4life

Will a round style tiller work on an AC310 and if so what pto drive is needed to run it?

Thanks,

Chris

Doesn't the 300 series have a different rear lift ??

Wider at the bottom, and larger round bar if I remember right.

Mack? Sammyfish?

Chris,

Funny you should ask that. I am bolting a round top to my 416 as we speak.

The pin on the tiller is 1" diameter.

The lift on the 300/400 was either 1" or 1 1/8" so you may have to swap parts, or I made a sleeve from conduit.

The hitch is a different width. You have to take the drawbar out, cut about 3/8" off the right side, then weld it back together and reassemble, putting both spacers on the outside of the upright. Then your tractor will accept implements form a B series and the 3/400 series.

I'm sizing up the double pulley right now, need to see if the big pulley clears the seat pan.

Other than that, it looks like it will work.

Take a peek at this...

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122932&SearchTerms=416+hitch+modification

if you dont want to cut the bottom drawbar... you can get a simplicity drawbar from a 700 or 900 series and just insert it in place of the 310 drawbar... just move the spacers you have...

you will have to be sure you get a drawbar from a NON-hydro machine

further info I must defer to Mack... he teaches me something almost every time i talk to him...

Just put the double pulley and the seat pan on my 416, lots of room, might have to fabricate stuff up front for the belt guard and bracket?

With a 5" pulley, the tiller will turn a bit faster due to less reduction through the pulleys. Also will be getting less torque, but I don't know if its enough to worry about? Theres only one way to find out!

quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

Just put the double pulley and the seat pan on my 416, lots of room, might have to fabricate stuff up front for the belt guard and bracket?

id="quote">
id="quote">what are you talking about... "double pulley"does not sound OEM??????tilling with a 10Hp is easy peazy..... throttle @ 1/4 or so and 1st gear in variable low... even that is too fast... if you had a bigger pulley (on the BGB) than OEM, that might be even betterinterested to know what you have there... hmmmmmmm....im here now (saturday 4pm EST) and my 310 has the tiller on full time.. i could get pics if neededi think im oem... if not im all wrong and need to change my setup.. :)

Here is the double pulley. I don't know what else to call it.

tiller 001.jpg

tiller 002.jpg

The only hitch in my giddyup is the belt guard mounting and the rod for the PTO lever will hit on the tire. May have to go custom here....

57e05dcc281d7_tiller001.jpg.4e4232b0958b49314b46cf3a4537a105.jpg

57e05dcc35d9f_tiller002.jpg.0c277944925bee9d1b49d7848c7af494.jpg

wow, thats something new.... i dont think that is OEM... but a cool idea for sure.!!!here are some pics of OEM.. the pulleys in the pic go where your "double pulley" goes... really just idler pulleys... that thing would be live all the time... makes me think it was used for driving a grain elevator or something...some tiller / AC 310 pics

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG.fa1d56f86290f4f1db370fa784223f1f.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG.e5fd1b1bdae607af55d8243da7f67f9d.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG.9a64a9e16eb10dd201841d05d35d91d0.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG.6bd23c0a86563447501be1f8122dcdc9.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG.3f83b2775b4545d2a3122bc869135c60.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG.41a571dfd09ab46304eebbd64bea746e.JPG

Heres the complete setup on a B-10. I'm just trying to make it work on my 416 cause thats what I have available.

tiller9.JPG

tiller9.JPG.0a5de15331f4f04180d92cfbd484e178.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

The only hitch in my giddyup is the belt guard mounting and the rod for the PTO lever will hit on the tire. May have to go custom here....

id="quote">
id="quote">

I'm trying to do the same thing since the engine on my little tiller gave up the ghost over winter. Just wondering what you came up with?

Originally posted by CooterDavenport
quote:
id="quote">}:)}:) You guys work too hard at making things right }:)}:)Forget about the belt guard, and rod, and mount. Run a bungie from the end of the handle to the tiller cover, done :o):o):o)That started out as my quickie set up for testing tillers, now I don't even have a tractor with the rod on it.

BUNGEE CORD?!?!?!?!?!

No, no, no, no, my good man!

By the time I'm done with this endeavor there will be linkages and springs and detents and kenuter valves and muffler belts, offset cantilevers and, and, and, a couple other overly complicated things I haven't even thought of yet!

If that don't work, maybe a bungee cord.