Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

416 hydro I.D.

littlemarv

What hydro is this in my 416H? I hear you guys talk about Vickers and Sunstrand and such?Can anyone I.D. by my pictures and point me in the direction of a troubleshooting and repair manual? Got a few issues and I need some info...

day 3 001.jpg

day 3 002.jpg

Any tips and tricks, known issues, improvements, etc. That I should know of? Thanks in advance.

57e0579f3cec0_day3001.jpg.26af3dbb4eb90160dfa0b0fba7669a34.jpg

57e0579f4d260_day3002.jpg.9ac7fe11b2afc89ff8fd916ea6b5bf64.jpg

I researched a bit- looks like a leaking pintle shaft is almost standard on these. I can add a lot of oil before it becomes more cost effective to swap out the housing with one with a bushing. This summer I need to wash it and pinpoint any other leaks.

Can you still get the filter for these? Whats the best way to completely drain and refill the system?

The other problem I'm having is it stops moving in reverse. It seems to work fine on level ground, but backing up a hill or in deep snow the tractor stops moving. Sometimes I can push it and it will go again, sometimes not. Has lots of pulling power in forward and no, the belt is not slipping and the lever is engaged.

Any ideas? I need to adjust the linkage so it stops creeping in neutral- maybe the cause?

For all I know, could be original oil and filter yet.

Lots of questions cause I've never monkeyed with a hydro before.

I have the same problem with my 416H when it comes to reverse. All kinds of power to go ahead but back up is weak. I find if you shove off with your foot when you shift into reverse it seems to catch and go, but like you say if you are backing uphill you will not go far.

quote:Originally posted by littlemarv

I researched a bit- looks like a leaking pintle shaft is almost standard on these.

id="quote">
id="quote">while i cant say for sure.. .none of my 3/4s leak at the shaft... it was my understanding that the leaky shaft was the other side largely due to the simplicity linkage... not same on AC's so should get more hours out of it at leastif she's a runner it doesnt look like a bad leak anywayspray her down with degreaser, give 'er a power wash and you can see much better what is going on there... I like a little oil leak... I call it the: ACPS...automated corrosion protection system... :)