Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

At least it's Orange!!

fishnwiz

Well today I was out doing some pickin when I came across this orange tractor for sale. I just could NOT resist this find and it's 70 dollar price tag. This is a Jacobsen model 34 Chief lawn tractor made about ten miles from where I bought it in Racine Wisconsin. I purchased this tractor from a guy who has owned it since mid 70's and he claims it was always the orange color and that he did not replace the engine at any time. There is a bit of a mystery about this tractor as Jacobsen did make Home-lite and Ford tractors at one time and this tractor may have been one of those brands at one time. The tractor appears to be in factory paint but has a royal blue (ford) paint job underneath and a white paint job under the fenders!. The Factory serial number tag is present on the tractor but it is BLANK and the engine appears to be a little later at a 75 build date on a tractor that was built until 71. The deck and grill are aluminum and the tractor seems to be original but at $70.00, it was a no brain er for me. Tractor is very clean and has good compression but needs starter work.

IMG_0001_109.jpg

IMG_0001_111.jpg

IMG_0001_112.jpg

IMG_0001_114.jpg

IMG_0001_116.jpg

IMG_0001_109.jpg.4946ea4bef6700df4deca2c0c0bb6170.jpg

IMG_0001_111.jpg.07239c7e3ca206d71011250a37eaaf21.jpg

IMG_0001_112.jpg.d34bdd6b18a4b9a6e083c81184ca04a4.jpg

IMG_0001_114.jpg.72ad9aeab9024023168ceabc3364ec2e.jpg

IMG_0001_116.jpg.1f4878a0eae6ea8bb4a1a21d673d8915.jpg

Well Mark,

The PO of my '68 2110, and attachments, was selling off the Landlord (etc) to pay off a Jacobson 12HP Hydro:D for his lawn cutting business.^Else I would not have been lucky enough to have a Simplicity. i never did find out how the Jacobson faired with the abuse of his hired help. Specially since that model had casework that fully enclosed the engine. The only thing he would not sell were the two tow-behind 8HP mower decks.

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

I think with the availability of parts for the simplicity verses the Jacobsen, he may have made a bad choice! Parts are hard to find on the Jacobsens. ;)

well sir that is just blue primer :D ( ever seen used cars movie ?)

i had 3 of those tractors at on time. mine were the ford 70 versions. im guessing someone didn't like the ford blue and painted over it . but it is possible that the factory painted it orange. i could se them painting it if the ford line was discontinued , but JAC made fords all the way into the 80's.

those jacobsen decals look like 1980's style to me. I am going to say that is the ford model. the JAC's had a different grill .

IMAGE012.jpg

Jacobsen_Chief_ad.jpg

jacobsen_lt100_tractor.jpg

but here is the same decals on this JAC . claiming to be a 1978. but still has the JAC grill

3280421802_7f3410596b_z.jpg

Thanks for the pics Perry,

Now I am really confused! I think you are correct in saying this is a Ford. What year is the Ford in your pic? The serial # says 1975 so that would rule out a Chief model? Wondering what the reason would be for the blank serial # plate? Why bother?

There are a lot of unanswered questions but am still happy with the find.

Could be Ford, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline and Jacobson. If Oliver and M-M were still in existence then, I don't know.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Thanks for the pics Perry,Now I am really confused! I think you are correct in saying this is a Ford. What year is the Ford in your pic? The serial # says 1975 so that would rule out a Chief model?

id="quote">
id="quote">yep the mystery of the little JAC sm01. i liked my little fords i had. but me being me, i expected a little to much from them and broke a transaxle or two and other things. i had snow plows and decks with mine. i slowly graduated to the larger garden tractors that suit me just fine now , SIM - A/C ...... ^this one claims to be a 1978 chief LT100

3280421802_7f3410596b_z.jpg

I don't know Perry, If Ur not blowing transaxles, It's opening axle tubes like Pillsbury biscuit cans!;)

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Can someone snap a photo of the transaxle???

The shift pattern matches that of the three speeds in the small frame FDT.

Just curious.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

Can someone snap a photo of the transaxle???The shift pattern matches that of the three speeds in the small frame FDT.Just curious.

id="quote">
id="quote">if i remember correctly i think they were a older style peerless trasaxle like this one . wheel hors A-100 i believe used the same trans and probably others.

100_0005.jpg

Very interesting! Looks like a tough built little tractor(s) [Perry's too]

I was also interested in the trans, looks like its belt fed from the vertical shaft engine?. Is one of the "footrests" a clutch or did I miss the clutch/brake?

Cool machine & a great price dOd

I was surprised to see the muffler clamp trick on this older tractor.Evidently this trick has been around for some time as the clamp looks to have been on the tractor for quite a while.

Clutch location is on the left side of the tractor.

My first collector tractor was a early 70's Jacobsen. 70 or 71 if I recall correctly. Seems like it was a 12hp and was called a "Chief" I believe. I may be wrong on some of these memory's, it's been quite awhile since I sold it. My youngest brother drove it with no oil in it and blew it up. He ended up buying it from me. I seem to remember it had a cast aluminum mower deck. Other than it being orange, with a little white trim, I don't remember much more. Seems like it was a horizontal shaft engine. Also, I seem to remember it had 5 lug rear wheels too.