Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where to get hubcaps

dhoadley

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Simplicity, having picked up a 717 & 727 broadmoor yesterday. One's a part tractor for the other, though it's hard to tell which is which, as they are both complete with the exception of one rear wheel. Question: where can I get those beautiful hubcaps? Don't need 'em, but they would look nice when I'm done. As I start digging in over the spring I'm sure I'll be back with more substantive questions. Thanx, Dave

Welcome to the club, Dave. You found the right place for help. I have had a lot of questions in the past here and always get the answers and always contribute what I have learned. We always like to see photos of what newbies have bought. Hint. Keep the photos fairly small so they go through the site. We all learned that.

boy, it should be easy to tell a 717 from a 727. Check out some parts diagrams. The 717 has a 2 speed trans, 2 drive belts, slanted dash and round hood. The 727 has a 3 speed trans, one long drive belt and a square dash and hood. They share many parts, but obviously not all. They are good little tractors.

Hubcaps can be bought at a Simplicity dealer, but I have heard either the 6" or the 8" are obsolete now. Try a golf cart customizer too.

Originally posted by TimJr

boy, it should be easy to tell a 717 from a 727. Check out some parts diagrams. The 717 has a 2 speed trans, 2 drive belts, slanted dash and round hood. The 727 has a 3 speed trans, one long drive belt and a square dash and hood. They share many parts, but obviously not all.You misunderstood me. I was trying say that it was hard to tell which was the "keeper" and which was for parts. You're right that it is easy to tell the 717 from the 727. Thanx for the guidance for finding hubcaps. I also need to figure out where to get the right color paint.

best bet for hubcaps is to put a want-AD in th classified section of this club or try ebay . also watch craigslist for a whole parts tractor with caps on it.

quote:Originally posted by buckdan

I just bought a hub cap for my DA1920 from JACKS SMALL ENGINES, reasonably priced at $4.15 plus shipping.

id="quote">
id="quote">I don't think you are talking about the same caps.If you are, I'll buy every one they can get at $4.15:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by buckdan

my invoice reads "hub cap" part # 1676519SM ,,,, waiting for shipment, I sure hope it is a hub cap.

id="quote">
id="quote">I believe you are referring to the dust cap for the wheel bearings. The original poster is looking for chrome baby moon hubcaps that cover the whole wheel.

Keep 'em both! If you aren't concerned with originality, keep the 717 for the looks(I like the round hoods), but swap in the 3 speed trans from the 727 for the extra gear and the PTO. If you are looking into blowing snow, a 717 without lo-range is usually too fast for the available horsepower - depending on snow depth. The 1st gear of a 3 speed is lower than 1st gear of the 2 speeds. Tim