Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Angle Blade for the Powermax

midnightpumpkin

I just finished doing a power angle blade for Gertrude, our 4041.When I restored the tractor last year, I added the second set of front ports by using the front lines from a 4040. These lines also go to the rear lift.Here is the final product.

DSCN5212.JPG

Now for the details.I used a cylinder from Suplus Center, you need one with an 8 inch stroke. Note that this cylinder has the pin mount on the cylinder end at 90 degrees to the ports, ideally the pin or other attachment point would be in line with the ports. I do have a clearance issue when the front wheels are turned hard to the right and the front axle is pivoted through it's arc. My plan is to cut the pin mount off and re-weld it in line with the ports.

DSCN5199.JPG

Here is the clearance at hard right on level ground, the clearance issue would be worse with wider front tires.

DSCN5208.JPG

To mount the cylinder to the front swiveling part of the hitch, I took advantage of the hollow tube that goes from side to side and used an 18" long piece of 7/8 rod to go through the tube.Here is the 7/8 rod with a C section welded on the end to attach to the cylinder rod. Grandson Johnny's welding skills are steadily improving to the point where his welds are looking professional.

DSCN5180.JPG

Here is the 7/8 rod in place on the hitch. It is held in place with set collars on each end. The rod could be shorter by up to 4", I wanted the extra length for adjustment since this was the first time to do this.

DSCN5192.JPG

Johnny welded up another C section out of 2 pieces of 3 inch angle. the open end of the C is 3 1/4 inches, this is to attach the cylinder to the hitch. Again I congratulate John on the appearance of his welds.

DSCN5184.JPG

Here is the rear C channel welded to the hitch and the front attachment rod in place.

DSCN5204.JPG

A close up of the cylinder attached to the hitch.

DSCN5205.JPG

With the 8" stroke cylinder we have full travel on the plow.Now we need some snow to try it out, that may be next year, it is 56 degrees on the south shore of Lake Erie this morning.John U

DSCN5212.JPG.c2eb4bc67c4caa928736d707ecff5d16.JPG

DSCN5199.JPG.99ea6233ae9584218a625fd38aee344d.JPG

DSCN5208.JPG.94be2ec5f7dec0fbd968cc8ade63daef.JPG

DSCN5180.JPG.92c4e2dc0d5e6bf5864e77edc2f71da9.JPG

DSCN5192.JPG.0b32da027e9bd5682e6239f03baa5fc6.JPG

DSCN5184.JPG.bd3f076c5d4cb1c78661b7f157cbc30a.JPG

DSCN5204.JPG.d27f91401ba5b5814ca88601ef21ce1b.JPG

DSCN5205.JPG.54fa63ba09125bc8f7e3c196084d29cf.JPG

Wow, Beautiful job John. Bet your looking forward to a late storm:D. It looks plenty tough enough to handle dirt and gravel though.

Cool, like the looks of that real well. Could you weld the rear mounting bracket on turned 90 degrees and thus have your hoses on top? Maybe I'm not seeing something looking at pics.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

Cool, like the looks of that real well. Could you weld the rear mounting bracket on turned 90 degrees and thus have your hoses on top? Maybe I'm not seeing something looking at pics.

id="quote">
id="quote">Marty, I took the cylinder off yesterday and cut the tube for the mounting pin off the end of the cylinder. Rotated the tube 90 degrees, so it is in line with the ports, and welded it back on.

DSCN5234.JPG

Hoses on top now, plenty of clearance.

DSCN5233.JPG

As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.The cylinder does not have to pivot up or down, but does have to pivot slightly, side to side, as the blade goes through it's arc. Levi, your pictures definitely helped, thanks!John U

DSCN5234.JPG.e50a0a5fed5db322dd82a28c0903985b.JPG

DSCN5233.JPG.600db85d5baa426fa7221991eab914f0.JPG

VERY nice! I'd like to do that very thing, off a Vickers on a large frame hydro....otherwise, perhaps try electric.

Josh,

I am not aware that anyone has been able to tap "power beyond" from a Vickers.

It has to be possible to do it, maybe someone has that I am not aware of???

John U

In defense of of John, and all the rest of us retired fogies, This is not "too much time on our hands". This is the fruition of many pent up ideas and plans that we've had in our fertile minds, and not had time or energy to complete while we had real jobs.sm01

Nice fab job, John. I can't wait to see it in action.

Well stated Jim!

quote:Originally posted by JimDk

In defense of of John, and all the rest of us retired fogies, This is not "too much time on our hands". This is the fruition of many pent up ideas and plans that we've had in our fertile minds, and not had time or energy to complete while we had real jobs.sm01Nice fab job, John. I can't wait to see it in action.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Well I got to try the power angle blade in about 3 inches of heavy wet snow this morning.

It worked great, the only surprise, was that the power angle cylinder will not move when the lift cylinder is in the float position. That makes it a little inconvenient to change the blade angle on the fly when plowing.

It is still much faster to change the blade angle with this setup than with the rod and latch arrangement.

I consider it a mod worth the time and effort to do.

John U