Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More poor running 7119 and maybe a soultion???

Kenh

The last couple of times out blowing snow with my 7119 it runs like a beast for about 20 minutes then it starts to run "ragged" dropping a cylinder. Don't know which one. This morning When it started having it's fit I adjusted the HS mixture quite a bit leaner. It picked up and ran great:D for about five minutes.:(! More adjusting rich and lean till it ran good.... For about five minutes. :(!

I did notice there was a LOT of frost on the carb /intake manifold. I'm thinking I need a little hot air into the carb to help with this. I may have a dual problem of frost on / in the intake and snow on the air filter????

When I was done the engine would hardly idle. I didn't have time to look further as I was running late for work. It did run better with the choke pulled a bit.

I'm thinking I just need a "hood" over the air filter housing pointing up towards the muffler to draw a bit of warm air. I know there was a modded filter cover for this purpose, but I thought I'd just red neck engineer something to work.

Ken

The kt does not need one that I am aware... I have not had the issue ever. Not to say it could not happen, just that I have not seen it and I have been in deep snow for 2 hours at a time!

Ya I'm kind of grasping at straws here? It acts like a weak coil (been there already) but when I pull the wire out of the coil there is visible spark jumping to the wire. That has to be a distance of at least 1/2 inch, 3/8 for sure. I'm reasonably certain that is not the problem. Unless it's moisture on the plugs????? That and when I mess with the high speed mixture it takes off and runs better for a bit.

Ken

There was a winterizing kit for the KTs a snorkel that pulled warm air from the exhaust manifold. I have never had a problem with my 917 but I put a magnetic sign over the hood vents and this holds the warm air in.

When I got home from work last night I had to blow snow to get back in my drive. I ran the tractor hard for about an hour without issue. NO frost on the carb and no moisture around the spark plugs. I forgot to mention the wet plug wires earlier. But... The wires were wet long before there was a running issue. The wires are new but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. In any case I'll silicone spray the wires and add a little dielectric grease to the boots to make sure.

I think I just need a little hot air to the carb to make it run right. I did have to readjust the carb after all my messing around, which I expected.

Oh it did quit on me once..... I ran out of gas:Ism06