Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 361 charging

nelra2000

I picked up a Simplicity 7018 that had charging problems. Stator wasn't producing, I put in a used split stator, replaced the diode (wire was broken), and both stators put out proper amps. ie; Charging stator and lighting stator. Amp meter shows charging. However, I consistently lose battery chg. The cooling shroud has two used screw holes where a regulator may have been mounted. Anyone know if a regulator is needed for battery charging? Battery check shows no dead cells.

Here is an operator manual and on the back pages is a wire diagram to help you sort things out. I have a 718 version and had a problem also. The PO thought he had two DC wires and things were goofed up. It's been a while but, I think the charge wire is connected to ignition switch and when switch is turned off it opens the cshrge circuit to where there is no drain.

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCyEN8coIYrE5CNj5kbp796Dq.pdf

Battery could still be bad or weak. start it up and check the chargeing at the battery with a digital volt meter.

yes it charges back through the ignition switch . could be wired wrong , maybe a draw , or bad ignition? . take the positive cable off battery and put a test light between the positive cable and battery + terminal. if it lights up even a little it has a draw. if nothing turn the light switch on and see if test light is getting connection and lights up bright.

doing this on a car/truck the test light will light up dim from radio/computer memory and would be normal . if you open the car door that creats a draw and light would be bright.

quote:Originally posted by GregB

You need a regulator in the circuit to "regulate" the output so you ndo not cook the fluid out of the battery.Take a read on this link, there is more stuff around search..http://www.simpletractors.com/service/kohler_electrics.htm

id="quote">
id="quote">Greg, it is a two circuit system, 12V DC 3A unregulated and 12V AC 60 watt for headlights. It is in the operators manual and in Kohler 361 repair manual. Kohlers recommended ignition switch is what I mentioned previously. My 718, 7018's cousin, has same circuit along with an electric lift and surprisingly the battery doesn't wear down.

I guess at 3 amps they did not have to worry about overcharging?

I did not run my smoking 361 in my 718 for long, yanked it, changed the wiring, put in a Briggs.

My 361 smoked like the devil also, but I hosed inside of breather down with some brake kleen and smoking disappeared alot.

Bob, thanks, yup, my old papers and repair manual all agree with you. That's why I wrote "split stator" in my original post. I did replace a bad battery terminal. Haven't used the tractor much since. Yup, electric lift too. If this doesn't work out, I'll do the test procedure. Thanks all you guys. I've been a member for 4 yrs and still can't get photos up. Got some I'm sure everyone could appreciate.

quote:Originally posted by nelra2000

Bob, thanks, yup, my old papers and repair manual all agree with you. That's why I wrote "split stator" in my original post. I did replace a bad battery terminal. Haven't used the tractor much since. Yup, electric lift too. If this doesn't work out, I'll do the test procedure. Thanks all you guys. I've been a member for 4 yrs and still can't get photos up.id="size3">id="red"> Got some I'm sure everyone could appreciate.

id="quote">
id="quote">Here is one of then you e-mailed me.

DSCN0836.jpg

and it loaded right up. Nothing wrong with picture size or caption.I just followed these instructions http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77987

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

My K361 has a rectifier in the cooling shroud.

id="quote">
id="quote">Mike, on full charge, what does your ammeter show, curious.

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

About 10 amps. Also my K361 originally came out of a Jacobson.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ok that makes sense.;)

Bob, Thanks for posting the photo. One of my favorites. Lotsa guys chattering about the diesels. Our pulling club has a twin class and I wanted something different. Took me two yrs to find the Lombardini 18 1/2 hp and fortunate enough for it to be "orange". I tried a compression program 2 yrs ago, no go. Tried again the other day and got 3 photos to go. Took over an hour of moving 'em around my PC. Some were smaller than 800x600 and still wouldn't go. So what? Keep trying, never give up, eh? My K361 likes to "hunt" under no-load. I've adjusted the governor spring for less sensitivity but she still "hunts". I just got used to it.