Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

Newbie with a project . . . . & PICTURES

dhoadley

OK, I'm hooked. Got my first real lawn (1/2 acre) to cut last year and in a panic bought a cheap-o rider off Craigslist. I knew this was temporary, but didn't know what I really wanted. Then had a random conversation with my brother-in-law over the holidays and he sold me on the virtues of his Cub Cadet. I started researching and my interest expanded to all the old American iron lawn tractors of yesteryear. Found a barn-find on CL that was just one town over and when I went to look at it found not one but two broadmoors on a snowmobile trailer. I got the pair for $150 plus $20 to deliver them right into my garage. (they wouldn't fit in the trunk of my Ford Focus!) The complete one is a 728 but has no ID tag. The "parts" tractor has a tag that reads: Standard MFG #990287 Deluxe MFG # 990288 Serial # 019553According to the "Made When?" under Simple trACtors this would be a 1963-1965. I think I want to make the 728 the lawn cutting tractor and I'd like to restore the older one. Now the questions. Whats the difference between Standard and Deluxe? I see mounting points on the side by the fuel tank. Am I missing some kind of side panels? I need a rear rim, PTO knob, and paint. Whats the correct color for these? I have a "Parts Wanted" ad posted for the rim. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

P3150045.JPG

P3150046.JPG

P3150047.JPG

P3150048.JPG

I apologize for the picture's quality. I am many things, but a photographer is not one of them.

P3150045.JPG.9c7b0301050faec36d5ca859b71ed44a.JPG

P3150046.JPG.da228a1a7790fde1e382b3b703fd9149.JPG

P3150047.JPG.eb515ea22865799a4844b9238ff4f6cb.JPG

P3150048.JPG.d6c131307d602033d6d3298bea7fa81a.JPG

dhoadley

I just thought of more questions. I got a battery. Before I try to start it (both engines turn freely by hand) is there anything else I should do after changing the oil and plug and adding fresh gas?

Thanx, Dave

GLPointon

That depends if it starts or not...Usually if they sit for a long time the carbs need to be taken off & cleaned. (the old gas in the carb bowl turns funky, or water gets in the tank, & being heavier than gas, it settles into the bowl and crushes the float when it freezes), and maybe new points + condenser??? but try it first...Good luck & welcome to the Site and the Brand dOd

quote:Originally posted by dhoadley

I just thought of more questions. I got a battery. Before I try to start it (both engines turn freely by hand) is there anything else I should do after changing the oil and plug and adding fresh gas? Thanx, Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">

timflury

Welcome Dave,

The Broadmoor Deluxe has the electric start.

That Broadmoor has a two speed transaxle and it lacks the output shaft on the left side of the trans to run the rear mounted attachments.

The rear rims bolt on. There should be a flange slid onto the axle and pinned, or bolted on.

You are missing side panels on the older Broadmoor.

The mowing decks are interchangeable between the two machines.

They are 36" wide.

The 728 is from the early 70's, possibly as early as 1969. It has a three speed trans and an output shaft on the left side to run rear attachments like the 26 1/2" revitalizer and the 30" tiller.

Both are nice looking machines. You came to the right place if you are looking for missing parts. Be patient and your orders will be filled.

For paint, some members have been using Duplicolor DE 1607 Chevy orange, and Rust-Oleum Canvas white.

Log onto http://www.clickitandstickit.com and brouse the site there if you are going to need replacement decals.

fishnwiz

Great deal.! Welcome to the club!

If these were mine, I would inspect the gas tanks as some tanks have a fuel screen in them that clog...you can screw out the fuel shutoff valve to get at the screen and clean the tank. Be sure shutoff valve is not stuck in the closed position., replace the fuel lines,drop the bowl on the carbs to check for dirt or rust, replace the s plug and change the oil. Also be sure that mice have not filled the metal engine cover/ shroud with junk or you will toast your engine in short order from overheating.Best of luck

goatfarmer

Nice machines!dOd

I'd say change the oil, and see if they fire up. Like mentioned, you probably will have to at least rebuild a carb, but sometimes you get lucky, and they run from the beginning. It also never hurts to clean out the cooling fins on the engine with compressed air and a brush, may be a mouse nest or 3 in there.

I had an early Broadmoor similar to yours, they are fun machines, especially if you have some hills in your yard, and the machine starts pivoting in the middle!

dhoadley

I appreciate the input. I'll check the gas tank and cooling fins before attempting a start. Pretty full weekend so maybe not until next week. I'll post more "Parts Wanted" ads. The flange is there for the missing rim, so I just need the 3-bolt rim only. (Tire would help, but I can find those easy enough) Thanx guys, Dave

sb64

First of all welcome to the club.

The difference between the standard and the deluxe:

1. The standard version had either a rewind starter or rope start. While the deluxe had an electric starter-generator.

2. The standard version have 5.70x5.00-8 narrow rear tires, and the deluxe has the 18x9.50-8

Your MFG# is 990303 (Deluxe w/electric start

Heres a Jacks Small Engines Link: (Keep scrolling till you find it)

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Manufacturer/simplicity/4289/4047

728:

Your MFG# is probably going to be 990577

That is also on this link.

Great find by the way if i had known about this earlier, i woold've given you my plow from my original broadmoor. I'm still kicking myself for selling it.8C

Good luck

stangman1

The first thing I do is check the compression and spark. That tells me if the the engine has much of a chance of running worth a hoot. I just don't want to spend a bunch of time doin' stuff that doesn't make the engine run.