Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
yukon

wow

MrSteele

Well, we thnk we have problems with Briggs or Kohler. I have never known anyone who didn't have engine troubles with a Geo. But, well, maybe since it is not in a car??

DanD
quote:Originally posted by RayS

Wouldn`t the motor need to be turned around so that the flywheel is at the back? Wouldn`t the BGB be spinning the wrong way with the motor being installed the way that it is?

id="quote">
id="quote">It would be correct the way it is. You you're looking at the engine from the driver's seat, you want it to be turning clockwise. The small engines just put the flywheel at the opposite end of the crankshaft compared to the car or large tractor engines. Think of it this way, with both engines, the end of the crankshaft that normally does the driving is to the front and not used in this application. Having said that, this whole project seems really stupid!

RayS

Either way it is plain stupid. I would be suprised if the BGB could handle it. at 3600 rpm`s it is probably ok. Engine I would think would be turning the right direction turned around.

RayS

contact simplicity. why would you put a car engine in a lawn mower? someone said 40hp. I believe it was MikeS. Whatever the torque is for 40hp. Just doesn`t make sense to me to put a car engine in it but hey, to each his own.

Never see a manual that rated torque on the the fiberglass disc. The most horse power that they ever put on them is 20hp that I am aware of and the torque could be figured on that. RodH has 27hp command I believe.

MikeES

Ray, my experience is that the weakest link is the tube axle and that can't handle much more than 40hp. Most AC/Sim tractor pullers have all had to repair axles and differentials. But I have never had an issues with the flex disc. or BGB.

That said it is still a very silly and unusable project.

BLT
quote:Originally posted by MikeES

Ray, my experience is that the weakest link is the tube axle and that can't handle much more than 40hp. Most AC/Sim tractor pullers have all had to repair axles and differentials. But I have never had an issues with the flex disc. or BGB.That said it is still a very silly and unusable project.id="red">id="size3">

id="quote">
id="quote">And that being said, maybe that is why it is up for sale.:D

ReedS
quote:That said it is still a very silly and unusable project.id="quote">
id="quote">

Perhaps this person had a free Metro engine and a blown Kohler! Yes I agree silly and not really usable, but it is different. Too bad it's unfinished. There was either a Sube or VW powered one around somewhere years ago but I don't remember where I saw it.

Btw it's not terribly uncommon to use the pulley end of a crankshaft for the driving end. Most of our older heavy trucks use the pulley end of the engine to drive a hydraulic pump.

HubbardRA

Yes, I was putting a 25 Hp Kohler on a 7116H chassis. I never did finish that, unfortunately.Here is a picture of a ridiculous tractor. Helicopter turbine maybe? Amazing what some people will do to these tractors.

jettractor1.jpg.jpg

jettractor1.jpg.jpg.e970546bab36e4f2e4a02d1df403f094.jpg

DanD
quote:Originally posted by RayS

Engine I would think would be turning the right direction turned around.

id="quote">
id="quote">Nope..it would be turning the right way the way it is. You want the engine shaft turning clockwise as you're sitting on the seat looking at the engine. Car engines have their flywheel at the opposite end of the crankshaft as compared to small air cooled engines. However as everyone says, I agree that this whole project is a stupid waste.

Architectdave

Interesting to say the least, I had a 1990 Geo I delivered pizza with all thru college and drove 190k miles with not one issue sans a new clutch. great car!

quote:Originally posted by MrSteele

Well, we thnk we have problems with Briggs or Kohler. I have never known anyone who didn't have engine troubles with a Geo. But, well, maybe since it is not in a car??

id="quote">
id="quote">