Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

motor

yukon

ok got the 20hp motor in the sovereign i have 2 questions #1 i cleared the frame on the right side for the oil filter do i have to clear the left side. #2 i have a big gap between the engine and the drive shaft how do i fill that in and do i have to drill new holes for the engine mounting.

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG.bd6f3118aee5a49bba92384db71b200b.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG.31ba6cfbe5c055535c607ddb933c4fa9.JPG

When I installed my 18 magnum, I did take a small amount out of the frame on the left side. I am not sure this was absolute, but this made it easier to drop in. Not sure what you are asking though, it appears as though the engine is in, so that should answer your question, no?

Not sure of the "big gap" or new holes, I guess that would depend on the engine that was in the tractor originally. You made need a different driveshaft, drill holes, or both in order to fill the gap. I do believe there is no shroud over/around the coupler on the KT or Magnum series.

I thought folks used a coupler/isolator for such conversion? I want to say I've seen some as much as 2" thick to soak up that gap.

Dave,What is the model number of the engine you are installing?It looks very much like the KT17 series II in my 17GTH-L.It uses a 2 inch thick rubber isolator between the engine and the driveshaft. No filler metal for the gap you are referring to.Download the IPL for 1691957, that should lead you in the right direction.Here are a couple of pictures that may help also. This was a factory installation, the only cut I made was for an oil filter on the right side (filter not installed in pictures).

engine2.JPG

engine1.JPG

engine3.JPG

John U

engine2.JPG.f7b91e4cfd690ca5aa8f6169f32b4def.JPG

engine1.JPG.87083cebebd2d757758ffd7acca554a5.JPG

engine3.JPG.f25bccd31a4ca00892d5185672a1c554.JPG

blt the gap between engine and driveshaft is 2 to 3 inches depending on moving the engine.

john the model # is 20 QS or 20 0s ITS HAD TO READ

Dave,

I am guessing it is a Magnum 20 out of a Sunstar??

If so, it should bolt in the same as my KT17.

Try lining it up with existing bolt holes and compare it to my pictures.

You will need the rubber bushing and drive shaft from a 7117 or 17GTH-L or similar.

John U

The Magnum 20, 18 and KT17 & 19 are all the same physical size and have the same mounting pattern. The Sovereign shown, with power steering, looks to be newer, and may have been powered by a Command or Triad? If this is the case, using those mounting holes (if possible) may also affect where the engine sits in relationship to the driveshaft length.

I had a early KT17 that had the flex plate. The other KT's I have had had the rubber coupler. I may have a driveshaft setup for you, I will need to verify the length you need with the bolt holes you are using.

What you are missing is rubber coupler and that is a NLA item beause few sold as aftermarket parts and the new replacement price shot out of site because of the few needed. Edens Ltd had a kit designed just for that purpose.

thanks guys i have a 2 inch flex bushing but the triad engine that was in it had a bolt in plate under the engine i wonder if i need that to make the conversion.

Dave, I could come over tomorrow and pick up the whole outfit, then you wouldn't have to struggle with it.

I might even give you a small amount of money for it as is.

John U

Also you should have Kohler P/N 237373 Hub and 52 755 29 grass screen kit to adapt you driveshaft to. From what I can see that hub was a Kohler piece made for the Simplicity engine.

Based on the way the seat attaches to the seat pan, I agree it's a late model Sovereign. I believe the factory frame holes in your frame look like this:

IMG_4706a.jpg

The pic is of my 75th Anniversary Sovereign. Ignore the "added" "rectangular" holes that are by the 4 factory holes (they are above the factory holes in the pic); they were added by the PO who butchered the Command install. For those of you that know the KT/Magnum bolt pattern, does it look like the holes are there? As to the drive shaft, the stock KT17 with rubber coupling is 17 3/8" flange to flange; the rubber coupling effective thickness is 1 3/4". If the original engine was a Triad, the drive shaft is 17 3/8" flange to flange. This drive shaft does not have the "nose" extension that goes into the rubber coupling. If the original engine was a Command, the drive shaft flange to flange is also 17 3/8" but it has a long "nose" extension. I wouldn't you could use this drive shaft with a KT17/Magnum because the long "nose" would cause interference. (Just my opinion, never tried that combination). You can see pics of the various drive shafts and coupler in the "Drive Shaft Reference" post:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119807

IMG_4706a.jpg.1e1a5cabd90416b23354af43d10114b0.jpg

Several posts were added while I was composing my response above.

Only the Triad used the plate under the engine. The Kohler KT17 and Command mount directly to the frame as does the Briggs single cylinder engines.

I have a M20 that replaced a KT17, in a 917. I had to transfer the engine flywheel coupling from the KT engine (same for all Kohler K engines, and M engines) and the existing flex disk bolted right up. Just a little frame trim for the oil filter.