Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine measurement tools

rich_kildow

I hope this is relevant enough to garden tractors to put here, otherwise scold away and I'll move it to Shop Talk.

I'm rebuilding (first one, learning experience) an 88 L-head 12hp briggs and am always looking for a reason to get new tools. I haven't had a lot of luck finding a local guy who will give me the time of day if I'm not going to drop a whole project off and a blank check, much less one who will just measure something for me. So, I'm looking at getting some of the tools myself.

I have access to good micrometers at work if I don't trust my digital reloading vernier enough for measuring a piston, but I'd like to get a set of inside gauges. Any recommendations as far as gauge set vs inside dial gauge or an affordable, home-mechanic type setup to go with? If I'm not going to be accurate enough to be able to determine if a cylinder needs to be bored oversize without going with Starrett or Mitutoyo, then this is the wrong path. But if something like the links below will get me going, then I'd like to go that route and have them for future use.

http://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-646-400-Extender-Measuring-Graduation/dp/B000XQ2T1E/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1363654391&sr=1-2&keywords=inside+gauge

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-ELECTRONIC-PRECISION-RESOLUTION/dp/B000XYND0M/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

Actually, the first link looks like a pretty decent tool. I wouldn't mind having one;) Remember to measure at 6 points, 3 levels of the cylinder 9 deg from eachother as the middle will generally be wider than the ends and the 90 deg is to compare roundness.

From the last few hours of off and on reading, if you can't have the two top end ones I mentioned, Fowler is a good way to go. I'm thinking that with a decent set of telescoping bore gauges might be a good investment, especially considering the cast single 16 in my 7116 is up next.

As I walked through a flea market one day I saw a nice oak box sitting on a table, a complete bore gauge. I asked the price, $8.00. Guess where it is today. So far I have used it to check the bore on my AC G before I ordered rings. That was a great find. LOL Bob

Those nice wooden boxes usually hold nice things. Bore gauges, micrometers, tap/die sets, cigars, etc. I think I'll be ordering that bore dial gauge today.

I found a nice Miller Falls Inside Micrometer set (1"-12") on E-bay for a good price. Not quite as good for engine/cylinder work but does the job... Good luck sm01