Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ngale65

HB212 getting some overdue TLC-DONE :)

ngale65

well this is my afternoon. Took a perfectly good HB212 that always seems to get put on the back burner for another project. Well this week she is the project. Plan is to go thru all the steering, already have all new parts, and a new bushing for the dash. However as i was taking things apart i discovered my hydraulic lift hoses were cracked. so half the dang tractor came apart. Oh boy. Well ill make sure to post daily pics of the progress. Goal is by the week end to have her back together and clean as a whistle. I was gonna goto NAPA to get hoses made. any suggestions?

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3.jpg

1a.jpg.ccec87ef1c330a1b9fbf9a4d69032169.jpg

2a.jpg.5b734a16e0b16dae8e25db0bb205f5a2.jpg

3.jpg.7884a5e3ca4fc2738ebd8784894f0f5f.jpg

JimH

Wayne Broot (Allis HB-112)was doing a custom bushing for the steering sector. Not sure if he has any left for sale.

He also has all the bushing and thrust bearing Info for the front end of the B series.

I did the steering and the front end of my HB-212 with his part and info.

JimH

Nathan, if you do have your hoses made locally, make sure they have your old hoses. Not only for length but the angle position for the fittings. Not much give in the newer hose material used by many shops.If the fittings are not positioned correctly, you will struggle to get them attached to the cylinder fittings.Another problem I had was with the fittings leaking without teflon tape or pipe dope on them. Just a heads up for you.Good luck!

quote:Originally posted by ngale65

Just sent Bryan a PM thanks Ray. My other plan is to do Gregs front end rebuild. New bushings, grease fittings ect. its pretty tight now but can always improve.

id="quote">
id="quote">

SethL007

wow! good progress for a afternoons work!! i just have my hoses made locally. i prefer parker hoses myself they tend to be a little more flexible. my hb-112 is tore down quite far also as we speak, difference is i dont know when i will get time to put it back together! keep us posted love the pics!!

ngale65

appears Wayne sold all the kits. so if anyone has a spare let me know. plan today it to round up some parts and after work give it a good bath then tear into the steering. But have to goto work 1st, that always seems to get in the way.

bowhunt4life

I want to know how the heck you got that keyway out on the steering column? I have my steering wheel off and want to put a new bushing in the dash but for the life of me cannot get that keyway to budgengr2

JimH

Chris, I use mapp gas torch, Castle thrust, small screwdriver/hammer and lots of patience!

quote:Originally posted by bowhunt4life

I want to know how the heck you got that keyway out on the steering column? I have my steering wheel off and want to put a new bushing in the dash but for the life of me cannot get that keyway to budgengr2

id="quote">
id="quote">

RayS
Originally posted by JimH

Chris, I use mapp gas torch, Castle thrust, small screwdriver/hammer and lots of patience!

quote:
id="quote">agreed or chisel and hammer. they sell the key at ACE.

ngale65

i used a impact hammer and was very careful not to destroy the column. they key is trash but keyway good. i can get a key. :) it took some time, even with the impact hammer. patience is key.

ngale65

Holy cow, washing a tractor when its 37 degrees is not fun. But got her all washed down, so inside for a warm up, then some garage time. Pics to follow tonight with progress.

ngale65

well, not to much furthur today. everything is cleaned. i got the steering gear out, disassembled and cleaned. luckally still all very tight with minor adjustment. so will add a grease fitting tomorrow and reassemble that.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s1.jpg.7a84d659aa53f769ef25e1d1663b6813.jpg

s2.jpg.4c19f872410981fe8c9b2b2d896395c1.jpg

Talntedmrgreen

Nathan, Wayne sold out of those eccentric pins about a year ago. I'm not sure he peeks in here often anymore, but I do have all the specs from him, for his front end upgrade. To pull his off, you will need to bore out the axle and axle block to accomodate larger, oilite bushings and a larger pivot bolt. I made those upgrades to the Big Ten FEL machine, along with the eccentric pin and new gears. World of difference, but that machine's steering was shot to hell, and your machine looks like it's lived a very easy life by comparison.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115714&SearchTerms=steering

ngale65

ok, i got the steering apart, grease fitting installed, all cleaned and adjusted, no play. awesome. got that back in. driveshaft back in. Refilled the BGB, rear axle with new gear lube. refilled the engine with New oil. Pic of oils im using, which is what i also use in the 65 impala. Got the tank/battery pedestal reinstalled along with new belts for the generator and hydro lift. its getting there. Here are some new pics from today.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

a.jpg.fce6e9887069531152dab3cdee018a9f.jpg

b.jpg.63f833f87592149d3acbe856fb844ee9.jpg

c.jpg.5d5114d29c75cba532ff6746b4274f1e.jpg

d.jpg.68c5f0c2a86e97ddda6d86f00a965142.jpg

Talntedmrgreen

I'd say your week is going very well! I got back from Detroit last nite, and haven't done squat all week. You're making me feel bad...I may have to sweep the shop floor tonite just to make myself feel like I've accomplished SOMETHING. I am hoping to get some buggie vids for you tomorrow nite though. I have a play date on the cart...not really work, but getting some video shot will check one thing off my list. }:)

ngale65

Well, got the 212 back together on the top half. Polished the grill, added a new rubber steering bushing in the dash. took the front axle apart, new bushing in the front, grease fittings added. Took the spindles off in preparation of the bearing upgrade and then new tires and wheels all the way around. :). almost there.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1a.jpg.cfd87d88750f26bc0935e3619d7d99e8.jpg

1b.jpg.f4b288696f6e9ac197b312ebdaa42cf0.jpg

1c.jpg.08f3332a2566ffa26e70a2d041198d43.jpg

ngale65

I have been very lucky, the guy i had bought this from worked at a AC dealer in the 80's. so all the issues it had were already fixed, like the vickers has been bushed, the BGB has been rebuilt. he already had added some grease fittings. Plus he bought it around 1980 and only did tractors pulls occasionally so it didnt see much mowing. This thing is very tight overall and in awesome shape. So hopefully with some minor tweaking it will be even better. And it has the engine upgraded to a 16hp already

ngale65

And Seth, feel free to bring those 3 over. Ill happily redo them, however its possible i may move and not leave a forwarding address after you drop them off. :D so you may not get them back. haha

SethL007

sounds like a losing proposition for me! at least i know they would have a good home!!! project is looking good nathan! keep the pics coming cant wait to see the new boots on her!!

ngale65

Well finally done, good grief. I would say i have at least 20 hours in this if not more, never would have guessed some maintenance would take that long. However it came out great, the steering is outstanding, i realize 3 ribs turn easier anyway but good lord it turns with no effort . Well worth the time and money. Well here are some pics. Also thanks to Chris i have a set of new front NOS hubcaps which look great.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

11.jpg.b2fd82cfcc1a5265f5e0c126af7d88b7.jpg

12.jpg.3589b2379a97196a143f0095d5638892.jpg

13.jpg.2fe123a72b4a2debba2c43a570b3b0b6.jpg

14.jpg.9c48d76c164582bc16af57c08fb6ab21.jpg

15.jpg.cd06f39f6433bae6a374b4fdfb5a134f.jpg