Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

NE Nor'easter ugh or yeh Part 2 - it sucked

DMKNLD

So after predicting all light fluffy powder for yesterdays storm, we end with temps around freezing at the start of the storm, together w/ warm driveway temps, so even though we only ended up w/ 6" or so total snowfall, but little do I know that the lower 2" are slush, covered by 4-6" of champagne 19 degree powder. On top of this, the storm is late to leave, so it's midnight before I crank up the 7114H, knowing I've got to be able to get out for my Paramadic job in the morning by 4:15 AM or so.

Working EMS the day after a big snowstorm - a rewarding job, but getting to people w/ unplowed driveways.....sucks. Thinking I'll do my usual hour of seat time and get a few hours of sleep before my shift, I head out, headlamp and LED spots blazing - and man - did that suck. Must have stopped to unclog the blower shoot 50 times, ending up mostly bull-dozing the snow like a plow blade. Any thoughts of any sleep are gone when I finally finish the driveway just before 4AM and put the tractor back into the man-cave, when the town plow comes by and pushes a 3' wall of snow onto the end of my driveway and front yard - yep, you got it - that sucked. Did I forget to tell you that New England snow storms in mid March suck?? :P

Ya that's the white stuff blowers just don't deal with. And I always hate getting off the unclog them to. And I think the guys/gals who drive them snow plows just wait down the road till done and put away. Yep they do it here to both drives are filled back in again.

I used my plow this time, no clogs. Only a couple of wet soggy inches or so here. Could have probably left it but you know, it had to be done!

i had that in december what i did was to take a can of spray pam which is vegetable oil and spray the shut every so often it seemed to work well :D

I tried thst with a can of silicone spray lube, would work for a few passes, then it was back to 5" diameter sierra cement snow plugs clogging up the chute again. Hopefully, this will all be a distant memory soon.....

I got tired of having my driveway filled by the plows after I cleared it, so now I plow the street over to my neighbors driveway so that there is no snow coming off the plow when they get to my driveway.

When I left for work at 5am there was about 4" down and by the time I came home tonight there was about 10". So I fired up my 416 with the blower and just got out of the shed and it quit and will not fire. So got on the 310 with the blade and spent 2 hours trying to get the job done. Glad the ground firmed up before the snow came.

I definitely like blowing snow rather than pushing it

...I had a snow blower like that - until I pulled the impeller out

and welded filler material to the end of the blades, dressed, and

rebalanced the unit...It blows ANYTHING now....Too much clearance

between the impeller and the housing does no one any good....

Originally posted by yukon

i had that in december what i did was to take a can of spray pam which is vegetable oil and spray the shut every so often it seemed to work well :D

id="size4">

I am very tired of the snow plow shoes digging into my gravel driveway. I will putting caster wheels on the blade. Any thoughts on that? Have any of you don't that?

Snow is working its magic on a portion of my driveway. I can see the pavement, first time since the storm. Can't same the same about my lawn. I saw that last sometime in early December.

Rick.....

I hear ya and now they are saying we may get another one Monday night into Tuesday AM. I'm ready to put the snow thrower away! Town's snow budget is shot. Reserve is gone and costs our town between 30-40K, per storm. Sorry mid-atlantic I hope the storm stays down there this time.

Moleman

Milo,

I have an old walk behind Simplicity single stage snowblower that has steel wheels instead of skids. they are adjustable just like the skids, are about 3 or 3 1/2 inch diameter and maybe a half inch wide. I have heard of them being tried on mounted blowers, but they will stick out past the path that is cleared by the blower. On the walk behind, the housing tapers narrower as it goes back, and the wheels are back a bit so they don't stick out past the edge of the cut.

Steve

Sure won't have broken my heart if you guys had kept this snow concept down your way, started in about 10 am and still at it, N.D style even.