Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kenzen

3314V Engine Wiring Question

Kenzen

The PO of my 3314V put a large blob of silicon around the cover for the points, within which a yellow wire from the wiring harness is connected to a black wire going to (I presume) the coil on the rear of the engine. These two wires (still covered with a lot of silicon) are connected by a screw going through a broken piece of resin board (like a printed circuit board). Is there a diode in there, or can I just cut the wires and splice them together with new lugs?

Thanks,

Ken

GLPointon

The little "card" is an insulated connection point for the wire going to the points. I would leave it, it is an OEM part. And the wire or wires going thru the slot on top the points cover should have a sealant around it to keep water out of the points housing...sm01

PhanDad

The "card" is bolted to the top of the points cover using the top points cover bolt.

If you look close at the points cover, you'll see a raised ridge on the points cover just below the bolt hole. The card rests on the ridge so that the screw/nut is straight up and it also stop the "card" from rotating when the point cover bolt is installed.

Kenzen

PhanDad - that makes sense given that the PO simply glued it in that location with an entire tube of silicon sealant. Given your description of how it mounts, I can determine that only half of the card remains on my tractor - it was probably broken due to over tightening. I'll come up with something. I bought the real gasket for the points cover, and I might try to track down a new insulator card.

Thanks,

Ken