Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16hp Briggs Coil ??? it runs

MPH

In search of a spark on my loader tractor, I pulled the engine, lucky to have one with a rod out the side {I got it that way} to rob the oil pan off of as that gilson under my loader the oil pan is almost part of the tractor. Found the ground wire broke off the coil and the side of it pretty bulged out, to the point the seal material is ruptured. I'm assuming it's toast. The 1990 I got the oil pan from has a good looking coil but was electronic ign., no point box. Will that coil work with a point system?

Thanks

PS. will the coil off a less then 16hp work?

You need to steal the flywheel and key from the donor engine and you will be good to go.

You can clip the wires off the point box and run the small wire from the new coil to your ignition switch. That wire needs to be grounded to shut the engine down.

The flywheel magnets are polarized differently.

Can't do that Tim, I don't think, as the Gilson has a gear drive starter and the 1990 does not. I don't have any spare starter/Gen. around to rewire the tractor for.

Look at the block below the starter generator. The block may be machined to accept the ring gear starter. Some were and some were not. I have a 1980 326431 16hp that is machined to accept either. If it is then check the counter weight cover to see if it is drilled and tapped for the stator. 749A in the picture has the maching for the stator. If you can go that route the ring gear starter is better than the generator.If not you should still be able to use the ring gear flywheel on the starter generator setup without any issues.

counterweightcover.jpg

counterweightcover.jpg.283989c434fa58ce926602b8daed0fde.jpg

Marty,

This might be a good candidate to use a Kohler coil and set it up as a battery ignition.

You will need the coil

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-120-140-300-312-314-Kohler-K301-K321-12hp-14hp-engine-Coil-/111033576551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19da1dec67

And a keyswitch for a battery ignition.

http://www.amazon.com/Stens-430-136-X66-00004-10-Simplicity-1686637SM/dp/B0015MGAJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364054706&sr=8-1&keywords=stens&tag=vglnk-c105-20

Wire it up through the existing points and condenser, you are good to go.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43560&SearchTerms=battery,ignition

Big advantage is cold weather starting if that interests you!

John U

quote:Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

Marty,This might be a good candidate to use a Kohler coil and set it up as a battery ignition. And a keyswitch for a battery ignition.Wire it up through the existing points and condenser, you are good to go.

id="quote">
id="quote">I agree adding a 12V coil would be the easyest way to go . no key switch needed. wire the ON/OFF toggle swtich to turn the power on/off to the coil.

I robbed the coil off a good 16hp that's been sitting on bebch space for about 5 years waiting for a ring job:( , The stator is shorted out best I can figure, a short is wht I get reading across the two wires from it. Blew fuses every time I hooked it into the system. BUT, I got the engine dropped back in, took the starter apart because it sounded like it needed some TLC, blew it out, put a little greese on the bushings, sounds and spins like new, so I poured a little gas down what looks to be clean carb and it fired right off. Tank goes back in in the morning.^ Then I can check out the tranny and the loader, if they are good I'll Brenda for a stator.

I may have a stator . got a 16hp sitting on the bench im converting over to S&G. ( i dont like geared starters) let me know if you need any parts for that old gilson ;)

is that tractor manual lift lever or have the original hydo lift pump under the seat ?.

Perry, the tractor has hydro lift on it. Haven't looked under the seat pan yet but I assumed they run it off the hydro tranny.

I am interested in your stator and maybe the starter for spare. Why do you dislike them? I've never had one for very long before.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

Perry, the tractor has hydro lift on it. Haven't looked under the seat pan yet but I assumed they run it off the hydro tranny.I am interested in your stator and maybe the starter for spare. Why do you dislike them? I've never had one for very long before.

id="quote">
id="quote">oh ya i forgot yours is the later model . yes the hydro lift runs off the trans. ill have to check for them parts.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

Perry, Why do you dislike them? I've never had one for very long before.

id="quote">
id="quote">just my preference. I like the old belt driven Lug'ers ;).

Or just have the old original flywheel polarized. Takes a little over a week and a flat-rate shipping box but briggs does it free. Well worth the simplicity and knowledge that it's a fully balanced system.

If you change to a magnetron and have the coil and flywheel from another engine, it is pointless to ship a flywheel 5,000 miles to repolarize.