Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Roticul de-lux

chris87

well i bought 4 rototillers yesterday with then then goal to get a couple running and sell and then take the tines off the others and use them on my tiller for my landlord. but when i got home i seen one was a simplicity. the carb had been replaced so i was looking for the correct one to maybe get it running again. so my question is there anyway to tell the year of the tiller it has a serial number of 128339. and does any one else have a 3hp from the 60's and can tell me what im all missing? and if there are any manuals on this? then engine numbers are 080302-9530-03 6301313

DSC06647.JPG

DSC06650.JPG

DSC06651.JPG

i steamed cleaned it at work last night and i have the depth bar to.

DSC06647.JPG.473c61590e88b90341e3ead9fc2db84d.JPG

DSC06650.JPG.fd93c25a7cf037e1b5c95bb4f3c86ad4.JPG

DSC06651.JPG.2daeb3f7ef2096491ed3fb989bef1377.JPG

A Briggs "small flojet" carb belongs where someone put the white tank and suction carb. Not an uncommon carb. They pop up on ebay. I sell them rebuilt and tested. Email me and I can send PDF that shows the small flojet variations. Email at ...ghargrav@twcny.rr.com.

Check your fuel tank for rust and shut off valve operation also.

Gary

briggsdate11.jpg

This will tell you how to determine thedate a Briggs engine.Here is a parts manual.https://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=080302-9530-03&dn=42550003L

briggsdate11.jpg.e17de6ff2af921bacb63f7adecb5992b.jpg

the tank does have some surface rust it dont look like it is rusted through. any good ways to clean the rust out of the inside. and is there anything to put on it to keep it from rusting? shut off valve not sure but my guess would be yes.

quote:Originally posted by chris87

any good ways to clean the rust out of the inside. and is there anything to put on it to keep it from rusting?

id="quote">
id="quote">Take off the tank and drop some gravel in it and shake the snot out of it. Dump out the gravel and blow the tank out real good with compressed air.There is a product called "Kreem" that you can treat the tank with if you see the need to line it.

• 2 months later...

I USE A BOX OF STEEL BB,S INSIDE THE TANKS TO CLEAN THEM OUT. PUT TANK IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE AROUND FOR A WEEK OR SO AND ROTATE TANK ON DIFFERENT SIDES. IT WILL LOOK AND BE AS NEW INSIDE. ALSO THE CORRECT AIR FILTER IS A OIL BATH FILTER AND YOUR MISSING THE REAR DEPTH STAKE. BELTS ARE FORWARD 34" AND REVCERSE IS 36" BOTH ARE 1/2" WIDE, GET A GATES GREEN STRIPE, THERE ABOUT 10.00 EACH. I JUST BOUGHT BOTH OF THEM AT ORIELLYS AUTO PARTS. IF YOU NEED THE PART NUMBERS PM OR EMAIL ME.

BOB IN TN.

P/S

I HAVE A ALMOST MINT TILLER JUST LIKE THIS, IF YOU NEED PICTURES LET ME KNOW.

That muffler looks to be a bit close to the tank lid. Coming off full throttle and a lil back fire could cause things to get a bit warm. I had a tiller like that but it was in the mid 80s and I can't remember a thing about it. I am pretty sure that the muffler did not discharge that close to the lid. Seems to me that the tank came out towards the front of the engine and not the rear like that one.

Dan

When a tank's in really bad shape I add vinegar to whatever you put inside it to use for a scour. Let sit and shake occasionally.