Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax Starter Solenoid Question

michics

I have recently acquired a AC 720 tractor. The Onan starter solenoid seems a little weak. Intermittently chatters instead of engaging.

The previous owner had several of these tractors and he showed me one that had a external solenoid wired in that he claimed over came the weak solenoid.

Have any of you heard of this and is it valid fix vs replacing the starter ?

If so is there a particular solenoid to use and how is it wired in ?

thanks

Mike

If it chatter that is not it, if it just ckicks that is it. The chatter would be starter problems or selonoid.

I have one of the kits here I can get the numbers off of as soon as I get to the shed.

I got mine from AL Eden but sence his death [RIP] I am not sure where to get them.

I have found that disassembling the Onan starters, and cleaning them up inside, usually makes them work like new.

I had one, where the brush holders were rusted fast, keeping the brushes from making good contact.

John U

Ordered the repower wire kit from Eden's. Acquiring all the parts to give the motor a proper tuneup. By the way , they are closing their doors. Just sending a lot of merchandise back to the vendors and selling off whatever Al had made.Also, I finally got the uploading picture thing figured out.

DSC00675.JPG

Thanks for the help.

DSC00675.JPG.cbf70f50850841e88b7a8f737cf8251b.JPG