Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vari to three speed conversion?

humphrey

Starting to get fed up with the vari drive on the sovereign. Was wondering if anyone had any pictures or a write up on swapping the stuff over to a regular three speed setup.

I saw that ray, was more looking to see if anyone has done any of the major foot work for me in the past (Part numbers/source belt lengths). As it speaks i need to replace the belt, the outer front shiv, and both of the shiv bearings. In looking back at it, i rarely needed the vari drive to begin with. Typically it is set in the 1 selection on the vari drive and then I would just grab which gear is most effective.

So currently I'm thinking 5 inch front and 8 inch rear pulley should be the same outside diameter as the landlord pulleys, unless I'm mistaken. I presume, I'd have to change the idler pulley to something else as well.

The back pulley at the transmission on a 3 speed is 6". I will measure to see what the front is. thinking it is 4" or 5" (Don`t think it is quite 5"), but will check. Idler pulley doesn`t matter. It is neither driven or a drive pulley.

That link I posted, the guy has changed his over. Contacting him to see what he done might be a good idea. The front pulley on the BGB on a 3 speed is not just a pulley. It is a two piece pulley setup with two thrust bearings.

in the thread he mentioned that he just made bushings to space the pullies in a fixed position. Utilized a stock varidrive belt.

I'd imagine I'd have to change the flat idler to a V idler.

Also the landlord drive pulley appears to be two pieces to help eliminate the vibrations.

Here is the ropes:

Using belts and pulleys for 5/8 width belts.

5-1/2" drive pulley:

with 5-1/2" driven pulley = 50" belt

6" driven = 51"

6-1/2" driven = 52"

7" driven = 53"

etc.

I converted without any changes in shafts or idler pulley (without the belt brake). You will need a spacer behind the drive pulley, and you will need to add some belt guide fingers to get the belt to stop with the clutch pushed in.

I have not done this with the 1/2" or 'A' size belts, but should be similar.

What tractor is this on?

I still have the 3 speed hardware including the belt, from when I converted my 7010 3-speed to a 6-speed...

I had to swap the Frame side plate, both pulleys, the idler pulley and pivot/linkage, etc...

PM me if interested sm01