Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How fast is too fast?

Bruker

I finally got the Command back together after replacing the crank seals. The engine was totaly covered in oil and grease boogers so a thorough disassembly and cleaning was involved. I must not have got the govenor settings just right as although it runs great it now runs at ~3700-3750 rpms. Is that too fast or should I try to adjust it back down to ~3600 rpms?

All engine governing is within + or - 5% or more. The engine under load will settle in roughly 3600 RPM for mowing, blowing or whatever load it feels. You are fine.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. Now obviously the higher the rpms, the more likely something bad will happen to the engine but what is the maximum "safe" rpms, 3,600?

bnbnbnb.jpg

The Command repair manual states they can be ran at 3750 rpm`s no load. It will drop when you engage the PTO. Both my 20hp Commands are set that way.

bnbnbnb.jpg.b716ed76ffce2e975636cde092dc834c.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Bruker

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. Now obviously the higher the rpms, the more likely something bad will happen to the engine but what is the maximum "safe" rpms, 3,600?

id="quote">
id="quote">Here is the way Simplicity bought the engine, Kohler model CH18S Type PS62513** Advertised working rpm 3600 within (±100)rpm.Power generator engines run at a constant 3600 PM and it neeeds to rum about 3800 rpm no load to handle loads at 3600 rpm.