Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 Has Spark Again!!!

B110guy

Been fighting this thing for 3 months. Finally decided to give the Nova 2 a try. Took the Mega Fire off, installed the Nova 2, and shazam, I've got 1/2-3/4" of spark. Really wish I had tried that before I yanked the engine again. I had to print the parts manual page off to help remember how all the shroud and drive goes on. Hope to have her running again this weekend.

B110guy

Tell me about it. I had installed the Mega Fire under the point cover and am wondering if it got too hot and fried it. I've seen it put there before, but the paperwork for my Nova2 states to have it in a good air flow. I've mounted it on the outside of the point cover using the bottom hole. Not a show queen or a restoration, so I'm ok with it there. Thanks for all the help.

B110guy

I have a motor that has a nova II under the points cover for around 10 years. No problem. The Stens Mega Fire II is the same as the Nova II. It more than likely is an internal electrical problem.

I'm sure you are right, Ray. When I checked into the Mega Fire, everyone who has one here has it under the points cover. I'll probably put it under someday when I don't like looking at wires. For now, I'll settle for functioning machine.

AaronSEIA

Are Nova and Mega Fire "solid state" ignition systems? Which is better and why, or is there no real difference? Are they commonly used? Where can they be had? So many questions, so little time. Thanks for your patience with the new guy. Dave

They look identical when placed side by side. More than likely made in the same Chinese sweat shop. One is made for Stens the other for Rotary, both aftermarket.