Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Going to look at a Sunstar

OrangeMetalGuy

I need to know what to look for.

Yes, they are ugly but I am looking for a dedicated plowing tractor, so the separate brakes and differential lock are very attractive to me.

I just need to know what I need to check carefully.

midnightpumpkin

Scott,

The weak point on them are the front axles. Look for repairs and or excessive wear. I had one that was welded so nothing could pivot, not good.

Only the 20 HP versions had the 2 speed rear axle with differential lock.

The brakes are excellent on them, with power steering it would make a nice plow machine. Be aware attachments are hard to come by and pricey.

John U

Brettw

I restored one. A great tractor. Would not look at one without the two speed, dif lock and power steering. Front ends can be an issue, but can be rebuilt. When I was done, it was quite the tractor. Mega duty unit, no question.

midnightpumpkin
quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

I just acquired and restored a spring-trip plow for my 716H. I assume I could find a frame that would let me mount it on the Sun star?

id="quote">
id="quote">The hitch you would need is 1691000 you can download the manual for it.John U

acfarmer

Great tractors and hear about the supposedly weak frontend all the time but I have a couple that I beat to death here on my farm with no frontend problems what so ever.The 20HP models are nice but the 18HP with no differential lock is good too.I would try to find the right snowplow for it as its a better plow,wider and much heavier.All and all I consider the two best models of tractors Simplicity ever built to be

the Sunstar series and the Power Max series.

jmhusby

Wasn't the diff lock an option on the last Sunstars? I had a later Agco Allis and it was always an option there. Mine had the 26" tires and with 160LBS on the back and chains it went thru the snow. Would like to find a late model Sunstar and build a cab on it and put another two-stage blower on it with a heater for winter duty.:P:p

RayS
quote:Originally posted by jmhusby

Wasn't the diff lock an option on the last Sunstars? I had a later Agco Allis and it was always an option there. Mine had the 26" tires and with 160LBS on the back and chains it went thru the snow. Would like to find a late model Sunstar and build a cab on it and put another two-stage blower on it with a heater for winter duty.:P:p

id="quote">
id="quote">Only the 20 HP versions had the 2 speed rear axle with differential lock.