Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 16hp 326431

osenga

Had to pull crank to replace it. Now what I'm wondering is does anyone have a digram of how the glance gears get set. It's the glance gears under the flywheel. I marked the 2 that mount on the block but not sure about the cover one? Reading on it but got me confused a pic would be great

Yes Bryan there is a proceedure for setting/timing these gears. I'll find it for you when I get home if nobody else does 1st...I did it when I resto'd my 7116...(If its the same counter balance your asking about?)

I remember there's a hole in the bottom of the housing that lines up with a hole in the weight that you put an allen or drill bit in to hold it while you secure it....but I'll find you the exact proceedure??

If you have received your repair manual file from RayS, read it carefully. But, to make a long story short, there are no timing marks on those gears and no need to mark them. Once you have the crankshaft and camshaft installed and timed correctly, you install the gear on the end of the camshaft (notice there is no key or locating device...it's just a press fit). Then install the idler gear. Now, when ready to install the counterweight cover, you have the crankshaft turned so the piston is at top dead center. Next, remove the small plug from the bottom of the counterweight cover and turn the weight until the hole drilled in the weight lines up with the hole in the cover. Insert a 1/4" rod or bolt (I think that's the size anyway) to hold the weight in that position..which is basically bottom dead center for the weight. Now, install the cover. The gears will mesh and everything will be timed correctly.

Ok I am ready to install the cover but it don't have a plug of any kind on it?? So if the weight should be at the bottom. Do I just stand all upright and knowing the weight will be bottom . Then I can put the flywheel back on ?

Yes I did ray.

Well it does have the plug just never felt that small bolt so guess where 2 of my fingers were covering up. And now that part is all done and back together :)