Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" rototiller

bsengrx2

New member and first post to anything ever. Just got a "new" '78 716H with a tiller and mower. Perfect! Well almost. One of the three bolts on the mounting of the tiller shaft is missing. My plan was to remove one of the other two to size a replacement. These bolts get a couple of turns and stop hard. Having broken enough rusty bolts in the past, i thought i would ask someone likely to have been there before. Tiller mfg #1690039. ?I have a pic from the manual. The missing bolt is one of the two that does not have an arrow as a grease point.

TillerShaft.jpg

TillerShaft.jpg.004f46ee48cf13c6f7f86045e27a3b71.jpg

Is one of the missing bolts one of the three that holds the 3 bolt bearing mounting flange in place? The tineshafth is held in place with a clevis pin.

I have taking these apart with the bolt either threaded in or the bolt sticking out the bearing flange. The plate ap in picture below is threaded on some that I have taken apart and some have a nut on the back side. So you can run a bolt in that plate possibly or the nut came loose and fell into the case. The last one I rebuilt I welded the nut in place on the back side of the plate. I have seen them with the nut welded to the back of the plate. Hopefully you will not have to split the case.The bolt is a 3/8-16 X 1-1/2" long.

til.jpg

til.jpg.79f382520d1225463b9fc06ecf54d7b1.jpg

Well doesn't splitting the case sound time consuming. Looking at the pictures, will go outside again and take another look. Thanks for the response.

Well those links were just what i needed. one of these has bolts on the outside and nuts on the inside, the other has nuts on the outside and implies studs on the plate assembly. I am going to hope for the third option of the plate assembly being threaded or someone having been there before and welded on a nut. I'll get a 3/8-16 X 1-1/2" and let you know which way it went.

My tiller had a plate (AP in diagram above), on the inside of the housing, with 3 tapped holes in it. It's easy to strip the threads out as the plate is not too thick. Don't ask how I know.

That might be why the OP is missing a bolt.

Yes, it is a job to split the case and quite messy too.

Only 9 steps. Only 8 could be easier! Hope you had a happy Easter. I will probably be back with more questions.

Tom

Well who would have expected such luck, but the plate assembly was threaded and no further repair required! Thanks for the info.

4 hours, which included mounting and cleanup, and the whole garden is done! This was ususally a back breaking two weekends. Thanks for all the help.Tom

Success.jpg

Success.jpg.d4b3098fb4d50f9fda134dca3aa97b4a.jpg