Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Should I use my mower deck or not ...

HerbP

Normally I mow with a small 12hp vertical shaft briggs based lawn tractor (branded Mastercraft; don't know who really makes it)... It's a pain in the butt because it's belt driven. If I want to back up, I have to raise the deck to disengage the mower, put it in reverse and left off the clutch. Stop, lower the deck again, change to forward, and let off the clutch. But for the most part, it's ok. Especially since I stopped bagging the grass and just letting it go to thatch...

I've never used the mowing deck on the AC720 because it's simply too big for my small-ish yard (about 1 acre of grass).

But I bought this 7016H which came with a plow, mower deck, tiller, and snowblower. I'm tempted to mount the mowing deck on the 7016H and use that. It's missing a couple of rollers but should be ok methinks. The grass is on a slope and is not terribly level. The old Mastercraft mower tends to scalp the grass on the downhill side so it leaves a bit of a strange pattern. I don't know if the 7016H would be better. Being that it's hydro, it seems like I should be able to back up without screwing around with the mower deck? Is that true?

What would you do?

The deck on the 7016 will take all of 5 minutes to hook up if it all there. If it is in usable shape and ready to go, it will perform excellent. If for no other reason, Simplicities are known for their cut, so yes, the 7016H should be much better than your Mastercraft. This assumes that you are not missing excessive rollers and that the overall condition is correct. There are rollers under the deck inside a baffle housing too.

And no, you do not have to shut off the mower deck or any of the other things you spoke of to back up, or simply cut grass.

Once you use the 7016 to cut grass, the Mastercraft will be a distant memory.

No if's and's or but's about this one. Mount the deck on the 7016 and you'll soon be selling the mastercraft.

Give it a try and I think you'll be very happy.

Chris

Use the 7016H it will or should not scalp your yard. Most mowers today are made by MTD with the name of the company selling the mower on the mower. The one thing Simplicity does better than all other tractors is mow, it's mowers are the best bar none.

Someone thats knows these (Simplicity) tractors better than I will chime in and give you better info than I did but I'll bet the 7016H will cut better than that other brand.

It's no contest.

I mow stripes with my A/C same,same and I've had people

stop and ask what lawn service I use,I just stick out my

chest and tell em I do it with my little old Allis tractor.

(makes me feel so goood):D

ok, I'm sold. I hope I have all the bits to mount it. I'll read up the manual.

I think it was missing 1 of the rollers and one of them had worn out in the center so was hanging lower...

I could loot some rollers off the 720 deck if they were the same... I just really think the 720 is going to be too big for this little yard...