Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity PowerMax Carb

mcewenr

Newby here. Purchased a Simplicity 4041/9020 with the 19.5 HP Onan. To make a long story short, when I finally got it to start it was pouring gas out of the carb. Took the carb to a small engine guy, and he had a kit on the shelf. When he took it apart the needle valve was broken off in the carb. Called his Onan people and they had a new one for $782. Is there a replacement carb at a reasonable price? or should I just go ahead and purchase B&S re-power kit from Small Engine Warehouse? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I bet someone makes carburetors for Onan, Walbro,Zama,Carter,Nikki. I would find the name or a number on the carb and start looking for a new one. It sounds like someone is making a pretty good mark up on that.

The original carb for the CCKB in a Powermax is Zenith 13262, it is available here:

http://www.autotestsys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATS&Product_Code=ZEN13262&Category_Code=ZEN

A better choice is Zenith 13793, which has a top adjustment for the main jet, instead of the difficult to reach bottom adjustment on the orginal carb. Plus it is also less expensive than the 137262???

John U

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking out the Zenith 13793. It is about the upper limit I'm willing to spend before I purchase a B&S repower kit. I know the engine will run but how well and for how long I don't know. I had an oil analysis done and it didn't look good.

Any feedback on the Small Engine Warehouse repower kits? I see some discussion that is about 10 years old but nothing current. I think the old discussion was about Honda engines.

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I'm in the process of putting a Zenith 13793 carb on my Allis 720.

Still working on some other things so I haven't started it and tuned it in yet. I definitely like the adjustments on top. I give feedback in a

couple days.

Because of low compression with my Onan engine I have installed a 23 HP Briggs Vanguard kit from Small Engine Warehouse. OldRon has a 4041 with the Zenith 13793 carb. I believe it was on the tractor when he acquired it.

Started the 720 tonight with the new Zenith carb. What a difference. Had it dialed in pretty close with a couple minutes of starting. Let it warm up and fine tuned it a little. Idles very nice and ramps right up when you push the throttle. My old carb was in bad shape as you can see in the picture. Definitely worth the money if your going to run the engine you have.

DSC00752.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00752.JPG.38e70c7095481fa66ee8b7ed98f18308.JPG

DSC00758.JPG.7ef4167d24a58169ab632b7dc2768c15.JPG

DSC00760.JPG.bcf291ceb3581db795eef5b7c13f39e5.JPG

looks good. have to wait a couple weeks. just dropped $200.00 on front rims and tires. the originals finally gave up. only 40 years.

How much for that carb? I like the looks of it and sure would be nice to be able to adjust without using a couple of screw drivers.

quote:Originally posted by ka9bxg

How much for that carb? I like the looks of it and sure would be nice to be able to adjust without using a couple of screw drivers.

id="quote">
id="quote">Fifth post down in this thread!John U