Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Ice Fishing Toy

Mike

Scored this 1998 440 Bearcat last nite, 349 original miles, needs carbs cleaned and a good bath, Might see my photo at the post office though, 700.00

bearcat.jpg

There ya go! That'll do the job. Is it a fan? I'd love to pick up something cheap and low maintanance to bop around on during the winter.

We have one just like it. We call it the Bus, 'cause it's about 20 feet long! Room for two and cargo too! dOd

thats a decent one , good deal dOd wonder why Allis chalmers never made a sled ? there was wheel horse , deere , massey, jacobsen and gilson snowmobiles. maybe allis and IH were too busy making farm tractors ;)

runs like a dream with the carbs cleaned, a little cleanup and she'll be ready for next weekend

quote:Originally posted by Tonyvdb

Here is a link to the 1965 prototype Allis snowmobile http://www.snowmobilemuseum.com/index.php?page=Sleds_on_Display&list=2&archive=0

id="quote">
id="quote">so Allis did dabble in the sled market . thanks for the info , cool story 8D1965 Allis Chalmers Prototype On the Allis Chalmers, It was built in 1965, one of three prototypes, two identical with the LLoyd OHV 4 stroke, 4 speed with reverse, the third one was built with a small cc 2 cycle engine and "didn't have enough power to pull itself." Allis was thinking about the work/utility sled market, not a sport machine. All of the mechanical components came off the assembly line, from various farm equipments, and the sleds were built during "down time". After testing, it was decided that the sleds were not practical and they were put in a disposal/scrap area. The gentleman I acquired it from and another employee from the Copper Country "rescued " both of the 4 cycle sleds from the scrap. The third sled was definitely scrapped out. The sleds were hauled to the U.P., one to Copper Country and the other one to his father's farm in Iron River, Mich. The Copper Country sled was used for a short time, then junked, with the engine/trans given to the Iron River sled owner. I was buying hay from the farm around 10 years ago, and the owner told me about the sled while my crew was loading hay. At the time, I was not into vintage sleds but I never forgot about it. I returned 2 years ago to find the owner suffering from Alzheimers, but still lucid on some days. He and his lovely wife agreed with me that it should be placed in a museum, so I was able to purchase the Allis on that condition! I also have the engine out of the scrapped sled from Copper Country. I did contact Allis Chalmers for possible history on the sled, but was told that "We are a forward-thinking company and do not dwell on the past.", so I was unable to get official documentation.

1330014727.jpg

quote:Originally posted by perry

thats a decent one , good deal dOd wonder why Allis chalmers never made a sled ? there was wheel horse , deere , massey, jacobsen and gilson snowmobiles. maybe allis and IH were too busy making farm tractors ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">I forgot about bolens also. i guess IH maybe the only major L&G company who didn't have a sled