Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring Dethatching Awesome

ngale65

With all of the lights on that baby, you could dethatch the lawn and pick nightcrawlers! :D

Nice ride!8D

Still a little wet up here in order to dethatch and then vacuum up the thatch.

I'm hoping to get after it in a week or so. If anyone can spare a set of belt guides for the front PTO send me an IM or email.

I'm hoping to wake the sleeping giant soon.

3-1_zps4fb3ae7f.jpg

Nice Nate!! That does an awesome job...I want one too sm06

Now you need a sweeper to pull behind it 8D

Glad you're enjoying it! They do an amazing job...I love it when an attachment is so effective.

As Greg mentions, pulling a sweeper is the cat's meow...only trouble is, you need to empty it dozens of times. When I first ran that rake at the old house, I pulled a 42" Sweeper and filled it every other pass, on about 3/4 acre of turf.

I don't really have anything to dethatch at the new place, but I would like to try the broom at it. I'm tempted to sweep all the dog turds into the woods some morning when they are frozen.

No no no, mount the mower and a blower/vac on the rear. 1st gear, full throttle and do everything in one pass.dOddOd

I wish I had a setup like that!:D:D

Yeah, I gave that a try and didn't care for it at all. For one thing, all I have to use is B series machines, and to run all 3 attachments at once, I feel 16hp or more is needed. Another problem is, you either need a RH lift or leave the mower deck unattached from the rocker to properly operate the rake. But the worst issue I found, and Chris correctly pointed out that if things are too damp, dethatching doesn't work well, is that the dry thatch brought up by the rake is blown away from the front of the deck, before the deck ever has a chance to suck it up. The slower you go...the worse it is. I grabbed up a Crapsman sweeper at the local auction for something like $75, and that baby spit polishes the lawn, leaving nothing behind. Plus, it dissasembled and collapsed with 2 clevis pins and I was able to hang it on the wall in the garage.

Gotta be careful with the rake at slow speeds...it will chew up whatever it hovers over. Don't want to stop too long for direction changes, etc with the rake engaged and on the turf, or you'll end up with a bald spot.