Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats the most you've pulled with a Hydro trans?

superbman101

I've been questioning getting a HB-112 for quite some time. I know my standard transmissions can take the beating and we've managed to move around 5,000lbs. Does anyone know what the Hydro Transmissions can take? What's the biggest load anyone has pulled? :pthanks guys!Here are 2 of your pullers beside a few other peoples toys in the pulling group black 725 and a wheel horse

Pullers.jpg

Pullers.jpg.1b2a95e4223e8826b3e7879c05fa490d.jpg

The hydro in my 20HP Sunstar can take anything the Kohler 20HP can dish up

and I have it weighted down pretty heavy with mud hog ATV tires on the back (28-12-12).Climb the mountain on my farm

with it and I doubt many people would try it.pull around full size farm wagons, with that tractor pulling isn't the problem its what it will hold back on a hill that gets dicey.I've seen far more gear drive garden tractors with trans trouble than hydro drives.

I would stick to gear trannies for pulling, hydros take more hp and in a tractor pulling condition they build heat fast and heats a killer of hydraulics.

To me a good "yardstick" for measuring what I should use, is to look at what everyone else is using for the same job....sm01

ps....but I know nothing about making a puller dz

The problem with using a hydro for pulling is not only the heat generation and loss of hp. But the hydro is not only variable speed but variable torque. So the only time you are applying full torque to the rear wheels is when the hydro is in full speed.

Watching hydros pull in the tractor pulls, they cannot compete with the gear shift tractors except for the big heavy off the lawn classes like Legacys and JD 500 series (1200#+).

Interesting topic, I know nothing about pulling tractors but I would think the weak link would still be the gears and the hydro would be nothing but a super strong pass thru of power. If anything I would think the hydro would shred the gear box.....

Am I missing something?

Never seen a hydro break anything other than the hydro. Even in a short 200ft pull they will get so hot that they blow the seals/gaskets or lock right up. And in the case of the tractors without a freewheel option they have to be carried/dragged off the track.