Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10.5 wheels....or not??

GLPointon

I've been checking around the lot here for rims to use for my new 23x10.5x12 Ags and just discovered something.... Of the 3 Tractors sitting on my "deadline" with 10.5" tires all 3 have 8.5" rims :o

Is this common for guys to mount the 10.5's on an 8.5 rim?

This explains why my rims on my 7116/GTH-L resto looked SO wide compared to all the others, because they are true 10.5 rims... evidently my only ones ngr2

Really??? I never woulda guessed. I think the 10.5 tires look much bigger on the 10.5 rims...look wider, but I guess then they are?

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

far as I know they came from the factory that way. 10.5 tires on 8.5 rims

id="quote">
id="quote">

23 is nominal tire diameter , 10.5 is nominal inflated tire width and 12 is tire rim diameter. Nothing is mentioned in tire sizing of what rime width is required. You need to go to tire manufacter data to get rim width. Case in point, I bought (2) 25 X 8 X 12 Dunlop ATV tires along with (2) 25 X 10 X 12 ATV's. Logic would say I could use standard 7.5 rims on 25-8's. Wrong, book says 6" rim opening. On 25 - 10's , Dunlop says 7.25 " rim opening. The 25 - 8' really looked pathetic when I mounted one on a 7.25 rim and two healthy shots of ether was not enough to to close the gap.

id="quote">
id="quote">Simplicity 23 X 8.5 and 10.5 tires both come with a 7.25" opening rim.

I follow what you said Bob but there IS another factory rim size. What I call the 8.5 rim is 7.25" wide but its commonly used on the 8.5 wide tires. In the pic below, I removed the 10.5 tire on the std 7.25" rim (on the right) and replaced it with the 10.5 tire mounted on the wider rim (on the left) this is the rim I called the 10.5 rim, I thought it was made for the 10.5 tires? but evidently they are used on the same 7.25" rims as the 8.5 tires....so what's this wider rim made for??? It came on an old Simplicity Sovy (as far as I know)

id="quote">id="quote">

DSCI3405.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BLT

id="quote">
id="quote">Simplicity 23 X 8.5 and 10.5 tires both come with a 7.25" opening rim.

Greg is that a flat center wheel? I don't know the exact reason they made those for a few years with the 3100 series but the extra width when used with a 31x10.5x12 tire would tend give a little extra traction and flotation by allowing more tread to ground contact. I have several sets on my 3100's but I can't say that I see much of a difference in day to day operation.

These rims seem to come in three widths with different backspacings depending on manufacturer/application. The rim width is measured between the inner surfaces where the bead mounts. The common widths are 7", 8.5", and 10".

Here are the backspacings I have measured:

(This is NOT a comprehensive list)

Simplicity – 7” x 12”

Sovereign backspace - 1.875”

Sunstar backspace - 5.75”

Craftsman – 8.5” x 12”

Backspace - 2.25”

Reverse backspace - 6.875”

John Deere – 8.5” x 12”

Backspace - 3.875”

Reverse backspace - 5.00”

the rear rims from my 314 are just under 8" outer edge to outer edgethat originally came with 23 x 10.5 x 12 tires

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG.81d51481e0f268fc16be871906a789c3.JPG

Inside to inside is the correct measurement. I have a set of 10.5 tires on 10.5 wheels that I made. The tire can sit much flatter with more air in it on the wide rim. When tractor pulling the rule of thumb is to use a rim with an inside width the same as the width of the tire tread. I like them just a little wider and make them the same as the widest part of the tire.

I have a set of 26x12x12 tires on 12 inch inside width wheels and a second set of those on 11 5/8 inside width wheels. My 25x10x12 ATV tires are mounted on 8.5 inside width wheels that I took off a Wards tractor.

It is difficult to seat tubeless tires on the wide wheels. I run tubes in all of my wide tires except the ATV tires. I got them to seat without any problems.

Thanks guys, I wanted the wider rims with my 10.5 Ags so they would hold more fluid as they will end up on my Loader tractor. PLUS as seen in my pic they look wider too on the wider rims IMO sm01

I guess I'll just wait for another wide set to come along. But for now I just mounted the 10.5 Ags on the std. rims today & they still look good ;)

Wider than normal rims are commonly found on the Simplicity 3112H , AC B-112,(maybe other trans versions of those as well. Those are easily identified as having a flat welded plate rather than the plate with 4 openings)

AC 314H

Wheel Horse 520

Assorted CubCadets

Some Deeres use wider ones but the plate spacings on those can be wrong for Simplicity tractors.

These are just the ones I have picked up for use on my stuff here.

Bob I've seen 3112's with either the flat centered wides, or the narrower 8 something rims. I just sold a 3112v with 23x8.50-12's on it, of course I can't verify originality but they did match the patina of the rest of the tractor well. The other 2 3112v's that I have the flat center wide rims with 31x 10.50-12's.

I dont want to keep beating a dead horse but after some searching I found these pics from my 7116 resto project. These are the same 2 tires I posted above.The 1st pic is the standard (7.25" wide) rim that has a 23x10.5x12 tire

DSCI3408.JPG

The 2nd pic is the same tire size mounted on the wider factory rim from an old Simplicity Sovereign.

DSCI3406.JPG

The center parts seem to be the same, just a wider rim section...?Whatever it is, I wish I had more...For a fluid filled tire it would hold much more, & it looks good sm01

DSCI3408.JPG.ee2323e7e0862e08131cbf59d8272807.JPG

DSCI3406.JPG.94a60efd18ca7f5eef40e272fb265152.JPG