Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Arbor redo - check me

OrangeMetalGuy

I have another deck that I want to redo in the spring. I'll use this one while I then redo the other one.

The side arbors seem to be fine. Spin easily, no noise, no horizontal or vertical slop. But the center one needs to be replaced fully, in my opinion.

Check me on this, but I don't see how that arbor shaft is any good any more, even with a new key. And the mating surface in the pulley is worn out also.

I haven't checked yet, but does anyone know if this entire arbor assembly is available in one piece? These are the type where the flange is on the bottom of the deck surface.

DSCN0792_zpsfd6fec0e.jpg

DSCN0790_zps2a67caf1.jpg

DSCN0789_zps661d0351.jpg

DSCN0783_zps326c2efb.jpg

They sell the parts separate. They even may be on eBay new old stock. The bearings are on eBay cheap as well for 6 of them. A bearing that spins easy is dry and on it`s way out. A bearing that has grease in it has drag to it when spun. Replacing all six will give you another 10 - 20 years of service, depending on the size of your property.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Z9504RST-Lawn-Mower-Sealed-Ball-Bearing-/261190335390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd0283b9e

Scott,

With the effort extended, $30 for bearings is nothing! And you gain the

satisfaction that you have really completed the overhaul. (BTW I do have a spare center spindle (from a 42" laying around.) Also do not overlook that pesky idler pulley.

Wayneid="Book Antiqua">id="size4">

Based on the photos I posted, can someone give me the model number of this deck? I can post some more pics if need be. I think it's a 1690021, based on a 48" deck manual that I have a PDF of.

The model # is just too far gone on the decal for me to read it to be sure.

There's a Simplicity dealer a few miles from me, I will take the old guts with me when I go up to buy the new ones. But it sure would be nice to have the proper manual, because they usually can't find a part without having the model number.