Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler removal

dhoadley

Oh wise Masters: Any helpful suggestions for removing this stub of a former muffler? (At least its light on back-pressure!) Thanx, Dave

P4060072.JPG

P4060072.JPG.c92f745371a1745821c0466176ca412f.JPG

No, it is threaded in.

Should be 3/4" NPT.

Spray it down with PB Blaster, of your favorite penetrating oil.

Remove, or loosen the locknut, keep cranking on the nut and the whole assembly might just come out as one.

If that fails, use a vise grip and try to crush the pipe, it might shrink the threads enough where they will loosen in the hole.

First I'd cut the perforated pipe off at the hub. Then using a hacksaw blade cut the remaining hub axially in a few spots.

Then as others said soak well, etc. The cuts should allow the to peel away from the head rather than unscrew.

A little WD40 and a couple of hours while I shoveled dirt, a gentle tapping on the retaining nut with a chisel loosened the nut. I turned it out until I ran out of thread, and then more gentle tapping until the whole fitting came out. I then took out the spark plug, turned the flywheel by hand and watched the piston remain unmoving near TDC.XX( Well, at least I got the muffler out of the way when I go to dismantle it for an exploratory dismantling to figure out if it can be rebuilt. In the meantime, I have another engine I can drop in.

quote:turned the flywheel by hand and watched the piston remain unmoving near TDCid="quote">
id="quote">

That's never a good thing.....

...There is an easy way to remove this stub....Several ideas almost do the dirty deed.....

...As instructed - Cut the stub off near the block, then with the

a-for-mentioned hacksaw blade, cut into the inside of the pipe, partially down into the threads, splitting it's inner circum-ferance...Then take a punch, gently tap and roll the outer edge of the split pipe into itself....This will break the threads free to

release the tension and allow removal of stub w/o damaging anything.