Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 problem

simple-kid

I haven't been on the site lately so hi all!dz

I just bought a 6216 simplicity that had been siting for some time. I got a new starter for it because the other one was froze and I have been cleaning it up for the past few days.

Anyways, I'm having a problem with the the wires that go to the key switch. I can turn the tractor over by arcing a pair of pliers over the to solenoid terminals and that draws a lot of amps. When I try to use the key switch it draws tons of amps and it just won't start but it try's to start but pops the circuit breaker a lot. I looked trough the whole wiring harness and it don't look like theres and chewed wires from the mice. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks nick

Is there any draw with the wire disconnected from the starter and what is the starter draw when hooked straight to the battery.

It sounds like a short in the wire from the key switch to starter relay. The starter itself is not fused. See if you can feel a real warm wire and chase it down.

All the two cylinder b&s's that I've owned drew a lot at the starter.

Start with the easiest things first. If you can get it to turn over by jumping across the solenoid but not using the keyswitch you should be looking at all your safety switches. Make sure they're all working properly and all connections are clean/tight. While you're doing it check for any short by checking continuity through the wires. I bet you'll find an open somewhere. Worse comes to worse pull the dash out and check your start switch. I won't lie, taking the dash out is a bear on these tractors so save it for last. That's the only thing I have to complain about on this series of tractor.

I just replaced and rewired the ignition switch on my 6216. Pulling the dash isn't too bad, follow the directions in the book. I just raised the dash enough to get at what I needed to get at and didn't remove it completely. I found on mine that the previous owner had swapped around the wires in the switch plug for some reason.

Good luck!

Steve

Is the solenoid grounded to the tractor? I had the same problem with my Deutz Allis 613 that I had. The ground will come off one of the small termials then tie into the screw that bolts it to the tractor.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by ardisam

Is the solenoid grounded to the tractor? I had the same problem with my Deutz Allis 613 that I had. The ground will come off one of the small termials then tie into the screw that bolts it to the tractor.

id="quote">
id="quote">The solenoid is not normally connected (in this series) to ground, but depends on getting the negative connection (ground) through the interlock switches via the interlock module. the ignition wire (normally blue) is to one solenoid terminal, the other connection is to the interlock module try removing this connection, and connect that terminal to ground. this will take the interlock system out of the equation. May luck be with you, and Murphy in the next county.Cheers,Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone I am a new member just this morning and I have run into the same problem with a Simplicity 6516 that did not run. When I purchased it the ignition switch looked new so I believed it was ok and went on to check everything else I found the magneto was shorted and smelled like it was burning. I purchased another new ignition switch from the local auto parts store and installed it and found the same thing. To make a long long story short I purchased a new ignition switch from Simplicity and everything works great. The aftermarket switch looks exactly the same but the internals are different. If the owner before me would have purchased the OEM switch he would still have his tractor